Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

script question

this question may not directly related to this forum but part of network mangemt. I have bunch of perl script extracting information from LMS user tracking. currently the scripts run on Solaris server and plan to move to Cisco UCS VM enviroment. if I am not worong UCS run Linux. my question is a perl script written on/for Solaris can work on UCS Linux enviroment. if any one tried or if you any one has  suggestion where may be a good place to post this question. I am really appericated that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: script question

That should be fine.  Provided you install all of the required Perl dependencies on your UCS VM instances, you should still be able to run your scripts.

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

The VMs running on UCS can run any x86 OS you want.  You could even run x86 Solaris there.  However, if you're planning on moving LMS to that platform, you will need to go with Windows.

The short answer to your question of whether or not a Perl script written on SPARC Solaris can run on x86 Linux is yes.  Perl is an interpreted language, so of course, the code will work.  Now, if that script is doing something specific to its current host (e.g. interacting with UT via local LMS APIs), then the script may not work on a new host since those same APIs will not be present.  So, you need to provide a bit more detail as to exactly what the script does and how before a real answer can be given.

Community Member

first thank you so much for the response. currently the script doing first use UT CLI command and log to our LMS server which is on Solaris 10 spark. and extracting the multiple custom report from UT and dump the information on several files on remote Solaris server. then second script running a perl-cgi script formated the dump file and posted the information internal web site running on this same server. so currently all three servers are running Solaris. now the plan is keep LMS on Solaris but the other 2 servers ( 1st server running all perl scripts and 2nd one running perl-cgi and apache for internal web site) to replace them with UCS. so this is the senario. thanks

Cisco Employee

That should be fine.  Provided you install all of the required Perl dependencies on your UCS VM instances, you should still be able to run your scripts.

Community Member

Thank you!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content