cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sending ip address

xbaha12345
Level 1
Level 1

is there a simple way i can configure the router to send me its dialer (dsl only) ip address everytime it changes? i am remotely managing the router and it's only connected through 4 DSLs dynamic IPs, no name is set for the router.

4 Replies 4

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Friend,

i know this answers not your question, but think about the dyndns.org service.

This service gives you a name resolution to your routers.

Have a look here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080238b72.html

for the IOS 12.3.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best regards,

Frank

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Embedded Event Manager may be a solution here if your router's IOS supports it, and there is a supported event that occurs when the IP address changes (e.g. an interface comes up). This can be as simple as the following applet:

event manager applet int_up

event syslog pattern ".*UPDOWN.*Dialer0.*changed state to up"

action 1.0 cli command "enable"

action 2.0 cli command "show int dialer0 | inc Internet address"

action 3.0 mail server "10.1.1.1" to "me@company.com" from "me@company.com" subject "Dialer has come up" body "$_cli_result"

Of course, if it's not this simple, you may need to write a more complex applet, or switch to using an EEM TCL policy. More on EEM can be found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_configuration_guide_book09186a008054dddf.html .

Hello, thanks, i tried your config, i think it works, i am just getting an error about SMTP server, because my SMTP server requires authentication, any idea what sort of command that works with such SMTP server that requires authentication?

EEM does not support authenticating SMTP servers. If you cannot use another server, you will have to go with some other means of notification such as syslog or an SNMP trap.