Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Serial interface down - Email notification

Hi,

I need to receive an e-mail as soon as the serial interface goes down.

I have already installed a syslog server and configured the snmp server community in the router.

What else do I have to do?

Thanks

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Serial interface down - Email notification

It really depends on what you are using as a syslog application. RME in CiscoWorks can setup automated actions so that when it receives a certain type of syslog message it will send an email to an address.

What is the application that you are using as a syslog server?

I am using the kiwi syslog server. I am also trying PRTG but still not successful.

I thought about using Cisco Works, but the problem is that I will probably need a freeware software.

Any ideas?

Red

If running on Windows, and the messages are making it to your server, then you may want to look into using blat to send e-mail.

I used kiwi syslog server very successfully for the notification. All you have to do is apply a filter on kiwi that will look monitor for the syslog/snmp message from your device (i.e. interface .... changed state to down) and then create an action that will send you an email notification of the event

Thanks. Are you using the licensed version? Anyway I am going to do other tests with kiwi syslog server which I believe can bring better results.

I've got some good results using PRTG.

Amohabir, thanks again.

I found 2 links that were very useful and which I think may also help others within the same situation.

http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/logging/201.php

http://www.giac.org/practical/gsec/Dan_Rathbun_GSEC.pdf

Views
Helpful
Replies