cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sevaral SNMP OIDs mention the term " local network management subsystem". I need to know what it means exactly. For example i

maquesada
Level 1
Level 1

Sevaral SNMP OIDs mention the term " local network management subsystem". I need to know what it means exactly.

For example ifLastChange. "The value of sysUpTime at the time the interface entered
its current operational state. If the current state was
entered prior to the last re-initialization of the local
network management subsystem, then this object contains a
zero value."

I would like to understand when exactly is ifLastChance going to be 0, but the definition is not helping me much. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Local Network Management Subsystem is your machine which runs the management application.

This term comes from Request for Comments (RFC's), where technology experts from Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and the Internet Society set and frame the principal technical development data and standards for the entire industry and technology vendors.

An RFC is authored by engineers and computer scientists in the form of a memorandum describing methods, behaviors, research, or innovations applicable to the working of the Internet and Internet-connected systems.

This and many common terms are used by them to define a standard which can be followed and applied by actual vendors.

So in the above mentioned OID value - ifLastChange - this OID keeps a track of operational state of interface, but it will be zero if the "local network management subsystem" (which is in Cisco's term would be the main network device - like switch, router, FW etc) is re-initialized or restarted.

So if the operational state of an interface changes multiple times, i.e from states like up, down, errordisable etc, it will display this change under ifLastChange with that integer value. In case the complete machine reboots, after the last changed state, the couter would reset to 0.

Hope it clarifies and helps.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Local Network Management Subsystem is your machine which runs the management application.

This term comes from Request for Comments (RFC's), where technology experts from Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and the Internet Society set and frame the principal technical development data and standards for the entire industry and technology vendors.

An RFC is authored by engineers and computer scientists in the form of a memorandum describing methods, behaviors, research, or innovations applicable to the working of the Internet and Internet-connected systems.

This and many common terms are used by them to define a standard which can be followed and applied by actual vendors.

So in the above mentioned OID value - ifLastChange - this OID keeps a track of operational state of interface, but it will be zero if the "local network management subsystem" (which is in Cisco's term would be the main network device - like switch, router, FW etc) is re-initialized or restarted.

So if the operational state of an interface changes multiple times, i.e from states like up, down, errordisable etc, it will display this change under ifLastChange with that integer value. In case the complete machine reboots, after the last changed state, the couter would reset to 0.

Hope it clarifies and helps.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

maquesada
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, I was not able to find this online

Glad to know if it helped!

-Thanks 

Vinod

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: