Helpful
Replies

SFP and Ciscoworks

georgeef1
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I would like to try and watch our network for any SFP modules that might

be going bad or die all together on both our normal switches as well as MDS switches which

use a different type of SFP module.

Is it possible within DFM or HUM to alert us if a SFP module goes bad?

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the module goes bad, then DFM would report an interface/port failure (assuming it's managing the port/interface). The error would not be SFP-specific, though.

If your device supports the CISCO-ENTITY-FRU-CONTROL-MIB, and a row in the cefcModuleTable is instantiated for the SFP, then you can use cefcModuleOperStatus to supplement DFM in HUM. If you poll this object, and set up a threshold to see when the object value is not 2 (ok), then you can see when it goes to 4 (okButDiagFailed), or 7 (failed).

Hi Jclarke,

Thanks for the information.

How do I determine if the device has this MIB or if it does support it? The Device is a Cisco MDS 9506 running on m9500-sf2ek9-mz.3.2.2c.bin.

Please suggest !

-Thanks

The MIB SHOULD be supported. However, I don't have an MDS with which to verify. So, the best thing to do is walk the cefcModuleTable (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.2.1) to see what you get. The CISCO-ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.91) is also supported, and may provide some details as well. You might try walking this MIB to see if any SFP data is found.

Now, the objects in these MIBs will be indexed by entPhysicalIndex. So, you'll want a walk of the entPhysicalTable (1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1) to correlate the IDs to the SFP modules.

Thanks,

I checked the Cisco's Object Navigator MIB SUPPORT IN SOFTWARE section which is also not able to tell me if the MIB is supported or not.

Except walking the device, do I have any other option for to check if the IOS has the required MIB?

I checked the MIB Locator, and as I said, it says the MIB is supported, but whether or not the specific tables and instances exist would require and SNMP Walk. I can review the walk output to confirm.

Hi Jclarke,

Bear with me here as I know little about MIB's.... Here is what I see from the walks in the attachment.

Please check and suggest.

Thank you very much !!

While the ports show up as entities, they are not showing up as FRUable, and thus not in the cefcModuleTable. Are these SFPs for fiber channel ports?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: