Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Share your network device naming conventions

Organizations approach naming conventions very differently depending on the nature of their business. Neworks that are very geopgraphically dispersed focus more on location/dept type names, over companies that only operate in one state, etc. I was curious what types of interesting naming conventions Network Managers have deployed and why you choose what you did. In my organization, I have defined my rather simple naming convention as follows:

dt##-loc

dt = Device Type

## = Qty of devices of that type at location

loc = Location

Device type is usually a two-character designator, but not always nor required to be.

As a brief example, these are some device types:

rt = Router

sw = Switch (access)

cs = Core switch

ds = Distribution switch

ap = Access Point

wgb = Work Group Bridge

ids = Intrusion Detection

ips = Intrusion Prevention

I specify two-digit quantities because I don't ever expect to have over 99 devices of one particular type at any location. Each of my WAN sites have a unique location code used by corporate accounting, for chargeback purposes, etc. - which is carried over to my device names. So, under my scheme, my devices have the following names:

cs01-corp

cs02-corp

ds01-corp

ds02-corp

ds03-corp

ds04-corp

sw01-t550

sw02-t550

sw03-t550

ap01-t162

ap02-t162

wgb01-t162

What other types of useful naming conventions does everyone else utilize? Feel free to share any unique challenges you've either overcome through your conventions or continue to struggle with.

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Share your network device naming conventions

Some of the naming conventions we use for interfaces GigabitEthernet as Ge,Hssi as Hs,Port-channel as pc.Naming conventions for some of the devices Distribution Router as dr,Network Service System as ns,Service Router as sr .

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content