Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

slow scp transfer - ASR router

Experiencing extremely slow transfer times using scp to transfer an IOS XE image to an ASR-1002(X).  Have attempted using three different routers and two separate servers.  In all cases scp is extremely slow.  A 380MB image is still transferring after three hours.

Transferring the same file using tftp takes just over 5 minutes. I have attempted the transfer using a Windows and a Linux scp server. In addition, I have scp'ed files to each of these servers to ensure they were operating properly - in both cases the servers can transfer the file in minutes.

-Do not believe it is an issue with the protocol itself or implementation on the servers: other scp transfers to the servers run quickly

-Research on this topic returned one response that the issue was due to writing the file to a flash filesystem. I have doubts about this since tftp transfers orders of magnitude more quickly, writing to the same filesystem.

I'm researching to see if there is a bug in these versions of code.

Next step is to run a packet capture during a transfer to look for clues.  Any experience/solutions to this issue appreciated!

-Ed

Everyone's tags (1)
3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Can't say I've seen this kind

Can't say I've seen this kind of behaviour, Edwin.  I always use TFTP and in some cases use USB to transfer IOS/Bootstrap to the appliance.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I've always used ftp and have

I've always used ftp and have pushed the ~380 MB IOS-XE images to ASR routers across a VPN and WAN in just a few minutes.

I noticed the same thing.  It

I noticed the same thing.  Noticed fluctuation in TCP WINDOW size. Couldn't find solution yet.

Views
Helpful
Replies