Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SNMP Device Settings for Ciscoworks

I currently have two Ciscoworks servers receiving Syslog messages from each switch/router on the network.

Just wanted to know if I really need to have SNMP Traps sent to CW as well?

If I don't is there any functionality that I lose?

• Network Management
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: SNMP Device Settings for Ciscoworks

You don't miss a lot in terms of event data. However, DFM does make use of some traps to provide a more complete picture of what is happening on your devices (e.g. stack failures, interface flapping, etc.) as well as being able to provide some more real-time fault information. But DFM is mainly poll-based, so you're not going to lose a lot of detail.

If you find the syslog and automated actions are getting you the information about what's happening in your network in good time, then you will probably not get much more by sending traps to DFM.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: SNMP Device Settings for Ciscoworks

You don't miss a lot in terms of event data. However, DFM does make use of some traps to provide a more complete picture of what is happening on your devices (e.g. stack failures, interface flapping, etc.) as well as being able to provide some more real-time fault information. But DFM is mainly poll-based, so you're not going to lose a lot of detail.

If you find the syslog and automated actions are getting you the information about what's happening in your network in good time, then you will probably not get much more by sending traps to DFM.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.