Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP pool not working for cisco 877 and 3560 device

kevintang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We try to use SNMP protocol to get the device type information for cisco 877 and 3560 device. But it looks like cisco missing snmp product mibs (they should be in Cisco's product mib list, but they are not).

They are:

.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.569 877

.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.616 3560

.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.633 3560

Also, even Cisco's own SNMP Object Navigator:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.633&submitValue=SUBMIT&submitClicked=true

can't resolve them:

"Unfortunately we could not translate the object 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.569 you were looking for."

"Unfortunately we could not translate the object 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.616 you were looking for."

"Unfortunately we could not translate the object 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.633 you were looking for."

Please, some people from Cisco DE help us. We have a large mount of 3560 and 877 devices that we manage them remotely.

14 Replies 14

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

Why not use the standard MIB II sysDescr ? I grabbed this from one of our 3560s, it replied :

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software ..IOS (tm) C3560 Software (C3560-I9-M), Version 12.2(20)SE4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)..Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc...Compiled Sat 08-Jan-05 23:06 by antonino

Then there is the sysObjectID, which is :

enterprises.cisco.ciscoProducts.615

Also there is a ciscoStackMIB > chassisGrp > chassisModel, which has a value of "WS-C3560G-24TS-S" on our 3560. I'm not sure about the 877, but when I tried to get this OID from a 2950 it did not reply (MIB not supported is my guess).

Dave

Hi, Thanks for your answer first.

We also use this system manage over 10000 different Cisco devices, from 827 to 7200 routers and switches.

sysDescr only give software info, and is no good for getting the type ... eg for a device that currently works:

snmpget ACEAK1-B1 sysDescr.0

RFC1213-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: "Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software ..IOS (tm) C820 Software (C820-OY6-M), Version 12.2(4)YA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)..Synched to technology version 12.2(5.4)T..TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac..Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by ci"

But this works ok:

snmpget ACEAK1-B1 sysObjectID.0

RFC1213-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB::cisco827H

(ie only sysObjectID gives cisco827H)

chassisModel is no good either as it only works on stacked devices etc.

We need sysObjectID which works, but doesn't get translated ...

snmpget LOTAB1-B1 sysObjectID.0

RFC1213-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: CISCO-SMI::ciscoProducts.569

It doesn't get translated because it's not listed in the products mib.

This can be further seen here:

snmptranslate 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.569

CISCO-SMI::ciscoProducts.569

(ie it's not translating it to anything for this object ID)

Even Cisco's own SNMP Object Navigator:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.633&submitValue=SUBMIT&submitClicked=true

can't resolve the three Object ID's:

"Unfortunately we could not translate the object 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.569 you were looking for."

"Unfortunately we could not translate the object 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.616 you were looking for."

"Unfortunately we could not translate the object 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.633 you were looking for."

Hi,

Any CCIE level Cisco engineer here that can help?

Jason Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dave had a good suggestion about using MIB-2 sysDescr to determine the device type.

I looked at the latest CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB for .569 (877) as you mentioned.

ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/v2/CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB.my

I don't see the update in there yet.

Are you concerned that the MIB hasn't caught up with the product book yet or is there some NMS product that is not working correctly?

If you're using simple SNMP polling (NetSNMP?) you could simply update the MIB directly (by hand).

Yes we are “concerned that the MIB hasn't caught up with the product book yet”. We could “update the MIB directly (by hand)”. We want to ask Cisco if you can update your list.

Or When are you going to update you MIBs?

I sent an email out to a couple groups that may have more insight on the online MIB updating process.

I'm sorry it's not in my immediate span of control or I'd update it for you. :)

Again, if this is critical for you, you can manually edit the CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB file and add the 3 missing entries.

Hi, JASON

Thanks for your help!

As a Cisco consultant, do you get the reward to report other group in Cisco "not working hard enought"? I think you should.

So when can I get the update from you?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Kevin.

I'm sure the people responsible for the 3 devices you are concerned about are working plenty hard. :)

I have put more feelers out to the teams that registered the new device models with the Cisco Assigned Numbers Authority (CANA) and CANA to get these updated quickly. Since I don't control the publishing schedule I'm afraid I can't give you a tangible update yet.

I'll keep an eye on it.

In the meantime, while I can't make the online version available, would you like the values that will be published (eventually)?

Hi, Jason

Our Assets Management is using SNMP polling to get all devices information. We can manually change the MIB directly (by hand). But we are afraid it may cause the problem when we use Cisco updated MIB later on.

We trust Cisco and still want use Cisco updated MIB.

Regards

Kevin

Hi, Jason

Thanks for you help!

Now we have the same issue with Cisco 2960 devices.

Could you please HELP!!!!

Many thanks from Kevin.

Regards

Hi, Jason

Please help! I will give you highest vote!!!!

Kevin

Not sure which variety of 2960 you are referring to. Here's what I found internally.

catalyst296024TT OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ciscoProducts 716 } -- Catalyst 2960 24 10/100 ports + 2 10/100/1000 ports fixed configuration Layer 2 Ethernet switch

catalyst296048TT OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ciscoProducts 717 } -- Catalyst 2960 48 10/100 ports + 2 10/100/1000 ports fixed configuration Layer 2 Ethernet switch

Hi, Jason

Either would do as an example, as neither of them are in the OID product list. But our device is the 717 one.

Cisco need update their OID product list.

SNMP shows:

image=C2960-LANBASE-M

Version=12.2(25)FX

type=UNKNOWN

The necessary teams were alerted to this. I hope it will be published soon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: