cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

SNMP question

I have a question

I would like to have a healthcheck fail when a card in the 6509 dies. But so far I haven't been able to find any MIB OID that checks the

status of a line card. The closest that I've come is the cardOperStatus OID. But unfortunately, I need to use the output of cardSlotNumber to find out which instance cardOperStatus is using to refer to each slot. And the problem with that is that the cardSlotNumber variables change whenever a card is replaced or the 6509 is rebooted. (i.e. there doesn't seem to be the equivalent of an "ifindex persist" for the cardSlotNumber.)

I also know that under these circumstances you will have to do a reboot on your Cisco devices :

If you have to do any IOS upgrades, installation of any other software products, or adding/removal of modules to your devices.

All reboots done on Cisco devices will result in re-indexing of interfaces.

Every reboot on a Cisco device will result in re-indexing unless you have ifIndex persistance configured, as shown in the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/ifindx.htm

Re-indexing WILL occur anytime you switch modules in a Cisco device.

Is there any way to monitor card/slot status reliably after cards are replaced or the 6509 reboots? Barring that, is there a trap that I can look for when a card dies?

the envmon will work ?

Thanks

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: SNMP question

How about the ENTITY-MIB or CISCO-ENTITY-FRU-CONTROL-MIB?

You are correct that if you switch hardware new indices will be created, but the cards that were not replaced so keep the same values.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content