Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp-server location character limitation

Reece Boucher
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings (from a newbie),

Not sure if this is the right forum.  Apologies if it's not.

I have created a workbook to generate router (and switch) configs that takes the description from the loopback interface (configured as <site code>, <site name>, address) and places it in the snmp-server location string.  There appears to be a number of characters limitation (different from the interface description).

Can anyone tell me how many characters are allowed in this string ?

Also, is there a way (if there is a limitation) of using multiple lines ?

Thanks in advance.

Reece B

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There's nothing in the config guide about a character limitation. I just tested and this worked OK for me. How many characters is yours?

HUB(config)# snmp-server location zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop1234567890zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop123456789zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop1234567890zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop123456789zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop1234567890zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop123456789zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwe

HUB(config)#

Edit: Some of the characters got stripped off during the post. My location string is 185 characters.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There's nothing in the config guide about a character limitation. I just tested and this worked OK for me. How many characters is yours?

HUB(config)# snmp-server location zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop1234567890zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop123456789zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop1234567890zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop123456789zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop1234567890zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop123456789zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwe

HUB(config)#

Edit: Some of the characters got stripped off during the post. My location string is 185 characters.

Thanks for the quick reply.

In replying to your post I found the problem.  The person who ran the config workbook must of added some CRLF's to it.  When I posted it highlighted the issue.

The things that catch us out, especially when trying to make things foolproof.

Appreciate the effort taken.

Reece...

Hello Reece,

I wanted to use the snmp-server location string to provide descriptions (site name, floor, site address) to our switches and I was wondering about the character limitation as well.  You mentioned that you "created a workbook to generate router (and switch) configs that takes the description from the loopback interface (configured as <site code>, <site name>, address) and places it in the snmp-server location string."  Would you mind showing me how to do that?

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

Apologies for the delay.

Please find workbook attached and sanitised.

You will need to rename .xlsx to .xlsm.

Worksheets are protected but no password.

By no means perfect, but helped to standardise my environment.

Enjoy.  

Reece.

Thank you Reece.  I couldn't edit the worksheet. 

Chuck,

Unprotect the individual worksheets.  No password applied.