cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Trap Notification to UniCenter

downeast75
Level 1
Level 1

We are able to successfully receive traps from our monitored devices in DFM using SNMPv3, what we are having problems with is when a trap is received by DFM from a device we have "SNMP Trap Notification" setup within LMS to forward that trap to our UniCenter server.

We set this up by the menu path from DFM - Notification Services - SNMP Trap Notification. There we setup a subscription and notification group provided the server hostname and used port 162.

The trap notifications have always worked until our network was restricted to not allow SNMPv1 and SNMPv2 traffic. So I am assuming, now once a trap is received by DFM, the SNMP Trap Notification is sending the traps to our UniCenter server using SNMPv2 (and still is). The forwarded trap to our UniCenter server is being blocked because it is being sent by SNMPv2 traffic

What we need to figure out is how to get LMS to use the "SNMP Trap Notification" feature to send the traps to our UniCenter server using SNMPv3

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not possible. DFM will only send SNMPv1 traps from Notification Services. This is the first I've heard of an SNMPv3 notification requirement for Notification Services. I recommend you talk to your Cisco account team to create a product enhancement request for this.

Thanks jclarke, that will save time in our research, do you have any suggestions as to other ways for us to send the traps to UniCenter or is Trap Notification the only tool for that. Thanks for the help. - John

Hi jclarke, another thought, does DFM store the traps in a log file on the LMS server that I can watch for traps. If so, where is that log file? Thanks, -John

No, this is not done. The traps are simply sent to the configured trap destinations. You could, however, configure syslog notifications, and point those to the LMS server itself. While you wouldn't be able to report on the messages in RME, you could look through the syslog message file (e.g. syslog.log on Windows and syslog_info on Solaris) to see the DFM event details.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: