cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Traps or Syslog?

dennylester
Level 1
Level 1

We just purchased WhatsUp Pro 2006 and are setting it up. This is our first network monitoring package we've ever used so I'm not sure which option is best.

I am wondering what the best way to go is for monitoring Interface down events, etc, etc.

Our main Cisco router is a 2811 with 2 T1 cards and an 8 port ISDN NM that is used for DDR when a remote site goes down.

I'd like to be notified if/when any of the T1 or ISDN lines go down.

Would an SNMP trap work or Syslog events?

Is one better over the other?

Any other suggestions for monitoring?

I appreciate any an all suggestions.

Thank you,

Denny

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Neither of them are fully reliable.

Although syslog can use TCP rather then UDP so you are at least sure the packet get to the management station.I guess the syslog deamon of whatsup acepts both types.

Best however is SNMP polling and let an event on the line/interface you monitor trigger an action.

Traps and syslog is much quicker (you probably poll ever 5 minutes or so) but are more difficult to interpret. It helps if the trap or syslog source is always the same interface/ip address that the machine can resolve to a name.

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Neither of them are fully reliable.

Although syslog can use TCP rather then UDP so you are at least sure the packet get to the management station.I guess the syslog deamon of whatsup acepts both types.

Best however is SNMP polling and let an event on the line/interface you monitor trigger an action.

Traps and syslog is much quicker (you probably poll ever 5 minutes or so) but are more difficult to interpret. It helps if the trap or syslog source is always the same interface/ip address that the machine can resolve to a name.

Cheers,

Michel

This is all new to me so I'm sorry if these questions sound so basic.

I didn't realize I could obtain this info via polling, I thought that was mainly for gathering usage stats.

Now that I'm using the SNMP MIB Walker, I found the OID I need to use to view the status of the Interfaces (I think).

Thank you so much..

Denny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: