cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP-TRAPS

philrattenborg
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get my Catalyst 3550 to send snmp-traps for vlan-membership changes. I believe I have the correct syntax in the configuration because I can change traps to config and I get the trap messages but not for vlan-membership changes. I have posted part of the config. Is there something I am missing???

snmp-server engineID local

snmp-server community phil RW

snmp-server enable traps vlan-membership

snmp-server host 192.168.11.100 phil vlan-membership

16 Replies 16

If you move to 12.2(52)SE, you will get EEM 3.2 which offers a lot of capabilities to create custom SNMP traps and syslog messages. For example, here is a simple applet which will send out a trap when a new MAC is learned on the non-default VLAN:

event manager environment default_vlan 1

event manager applet port-vlan-notif

event event mat interface regexp .*Ethernet.* type add

action 001 cli command "show interface $_mat_intf_name switchport | include Access Mode VLAN"

action 002 regexp ": ([0-9]+) " "$_cli_result" ignore vlan_num

action 003 if $vlan_num ne $default_vlan

action 004 snmp-trap strdata "Interface $_mat_intf_name has VLAN $vlan_num"

action 005 end

You could trigger an EEM policy on other events as well. For example, you could also trigger an event on a config change, and send a trap if a port's VLAN is changed by an interactive user. This type of policy would be a little more complicated, but there is an example which could be adapted at http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/EEM?page=eem&fn=script&scriptId=1103 .

The way we track this is with linkup linkdown trap and mac-address notifications trap. Are you using NAC / Clean-access? That is what NAC is tracking.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: