Helpful
Replies

SNMP v3 Config

Mario C. G.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

Any have a good config to SNMPv3. for all products to CWLMS3.2

I try something and I have manage all devices. But by example, the DFM can not manage. I thing that some config en SNMPv3 is missing

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The following is all you need for IOS:

snmp-server group v3group v3 auth

snmp-server user v3user v3group v3 auth md5 v3user123

But there are certainly other options you can use.

However, some devices have a bug where they use a non-unique engine ID.  DFM requires that every device have a unique SNMP engine ID.  Use "show snmp engineID" on your devices and make sure the IDs are unique across all of them.  Use the "snmp-server engineID" command to set a unique value if you find any duplicates.  Then delete and re-add the devices in DFM and they should become managed.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for you help, I try that you say me.

Regards

Hi Clark,

I have this command:

snmp-server user USER GROUP v3 auth md5 xxxxxx priv des xxxxx access 2

In  the access-list is Ok, I validate that I have access.

In think so, that the DES is my problem, you know some about to use DES, By example I can not get configs from RME Config Managment.

I validate device credentials and I have recieved some error, but for some reason, I have manage this device in CM. And CiscoVIew

RME supports DES encryption, so that is not the problem.  If you are using SNMP/TFTP to fetch the configs (as opposed to telnet or SSH), t

hen be sure your SNMPv3 group has a write-view associated with it.  For example:

snmp-server group v3group v3 auth write v1default

Joseph, in regards to the same snmpv3 configuration, what is the "v1default" and why use this view as appose to another?

I have set up this on my 2811 router:

snmp-server group groupv3 v3 auth write v1defualt
snmp-server user testv3 groupv3 v3 auth md5 TESTv3 priv 3des heat

but when I run try to perform a management to the device using snmpv3,

the snmpv3 "READ" passes, but the "WRITE" fails?

Your opinion is appreciated.

EV

It looks like you spelled default wrong.  Make sure the view is v1default.  This is a special built-in view that exposes all of the typical MIB branches.

My apologies JClark.  I made the simple change and everything is working as expected.

Regards,

EV

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: