cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP V3 Device configuration

sullim01
Level 4
Level 4

Does anyone have a sample config of SNMP V3 on a router/switch for CiscoWorks? I have set it up minus the views because I am not sure the views needed by CiscoWorks.

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is actually a very loaded question. The simplest config that works (especially for a router) is:

snmp-server group v3group v3 auth read v1default write v1default

snmp-server user v3user v3group v3 auth md5 v3userpass

Of course, Campus Manager requires switches to have a more complex configuration in order to support contexts for purposes of MAC address and spanning-tree information collection. SNMPv3 contexts are well-supported on CatOS, but only recently supported on IOS. For IOS, you must add a line like the following for each VLAN context in addition to the group line above. To get a list of all contexts, use the show snmp context command:

snmp-server group v3group v3 auth context vlan-1

Once that is setup, then all aspects of LMS should work with the device.

Except User Tracking ! Hopefully October release will help with that.

What do you mean, "except User Tracking?" The config I mentioned in my post accounts for User Tracking and STP. There only v3-specific fix I know of that is going in to Campus Manager 4.0.6 is for handling a case where the cached v3 parameters were being corrupted which resulted in a never-ending UT acquisition or Data Collection.

There are known device issues with SNMPv3, however. For example, the XL and 2950 switches do not properly support SNMPv3 contexts, and will thus not work with UT if SNMPv3 is being used. There is no workaround for this, and this is not something that can be addressed in LMS.

User Tracking doesn't work with SNMP Version 3? If I go with a Version 2 RW Community will I get everything?

User Tracking most certainly works with SNMPv3. There are certain switches, however, that do not. I already mentioned the problems with XL and 2950 series switches. As for other IOS switches, you must be running recent code on them in order to support SNMPv3 contexts needed by User Tracking. For example, 3750 and 3550 switches require 12.2(25)SEE or higher.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: