Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SNMP

We currently have snmp v1 on some Switches. How do I get them up to Version 2 or 3? Thanks

We have C6509 running 12.2(18)SXF4

and Cat 4003/6 running Cat OS 6.4(10)

Also on the above switches have the line

snmp-server host x.x.x.x public.

If and when I do change the snmp public and private, do I also need to change this line to the modified value?

4 REPLIES
Blue

Re: SNMP

> Also on the above switches have the line

> snmp-server host x.x.x.x public.

>

> If and when I do change the snmp public and > private, do I also need to change this line > to the modified value?

Practically no NMS software seems to bother checking the incoming SNMP trap's community string, so you'll find it makes no difference changing it or not.

Cisco Employee

If you want to enable v2c in this case you would configured something like:

snmp-server host 1.1.1.1 traps version 2c public

For SNMP V3, have a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1830/products_feature_guide09186a00800878fa.html#wp17413

Thanks

What effect will my changing the

snmp-server community secret RW. The secret part to something else. As in all the Cisco examples, it was left as is.

SHould I change it or not. and what effect will changing it have and what is it used for?

THanks

Red

Yes, you should change it to something more secure. public and private are simply used as examples. You shouldn't have public and private as your community strings.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content