cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMPv3 on 3500XL?

schadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Is snmpv3 supported on 3500XL switches? I don't see the snmp-server user command. We have Version 12.0(5)WC15.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, my fault. I had confused the 2950 series which can run 12.1, and do have the limited support for v3 I mentioned. I had thought they did a 12.1 for those XLs to be inline with the 2950, but they have not.

The XL series does not support SNMPv3 in the 12.0 train. I double-checked, and there will not be a 12.1 for these switches, and thus v3 will not be supported.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, SNMPv3 is supported on these switches, but you will need to move to 12.1 code to get it. Note: SNMPv3 contexts are not nor ever will be supported on these switches. This will mean that while most SNMP operations will work with v3, you will not be able to fetch the MAC address table from this switch using SNMPv3.

Can I even install 12.1 on a 3500XL? I thought the versions stopped after the 12.0 versions for the 3500XL. I looked on cisco and under 12.1 the is no option for "3500XL".

Sorry, my fault. I had confused the 2950 series which can run 12.1, and do have the limited support for v3 I mentioned. I had thought they did a 12.1 for those XLs to be inline with the 2950, but they have not.

The XL series does not support SNMPv3 in the 12.0 train. I double-checked, and there will not be a 12.1 for these switches, and thus v3 will not be supported.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: