cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Software upgrade analysis fails

rdanevich
Level 1
Level 1

When I try doing a Software Upgrade Analysis (eitehr cisco.com or repository) I get a Swim5001:cannot connect to the device 10.x.x.x using TELNET error message.

I can Telnet to the device as well as the CiscoWorks NMS account.

I've had success on the same type of switch with the same IOS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dump the packet capture to a file, and open it in an application such as Wireshark (Ethereal). You can then do a Follow TCP Stream which should make the data easier to look at. Something must be failing in the authentication, or the CLI exchange.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Get a sniffer trace of telnet traffic to this device when performing the analysis, and see if anything obvious shows up when RME tries to connect to the device. This could be a problem with the DCR credentials, exhausted VTY lines, etc.

Ok, I did a packet capture from the CW's IP address to the device's IP address with our NAM 2 module. Can't say I exactly know what I'm looking for. I can tell you that it alternates between the TCP & TELNET protocols for 10.718 seconds.

I've already re-written the Device Credentials and only 1 VTY line is in use.

Dump the packet capture to a file, and open it in an application such as Wireshark (Ethereal). You can then do a Follow TCP Stream which should make the data easier to look at. Something must be failing in the authentication, or the CLI exchange.

Hhhhhmmmm....says I have a bad password.

Thanks Joe!