Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

spantree events

Logging level is informational.

Under port config i have set "logging event status and spantree". I can see device logging message %SPANTREE-6-PORT_STATE but in syslog.log there are not any spantree messages. Those are only messages which dont shown up to the syslog.log. Any idea why.

Juha

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: spantree events

Can you confirm that the devices are actually sending the spantree messages? Perhaps from a debug snmp packet or a packet capture on the server?

If its missing from the syslog.log them most likely its a device issue where its either not sending these messages or not configured to do so properly.

Hi

I can see that spantree syslogs appears devices syslog but those syslogs dont shown up to syslog.log.

All others syslogs comes to syslog.log. If i look syslog.log i cant see any informational level syslogs.(severity 6) Those spantree log events are severity 6 events. ( %SPANTREE-6-PORT_STATE)

Any idea.

Juha

Blue

Did you check if your syslog.conf on the syslog server was configured to log informational messages to syslog.log?

Silver

Where is the syslog.conf? Only on Solaris I suppose?

Is there anything configurable for the syslog on windows?

Michel

Blue

It's /etc/syslog.conf on Solaris.

It appears to be a Registry setting on Windows. Does not seem as fine-tunable as on Solaris, but is also unlikely to cause the original problem as CiscoWorks installed and configured this syslog service.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_tech_note09186a00800a7275.shtml

On a Windows System, the location is defined in the registry [ which can be viewed from regedit]:

\system\currentControlSet\Services\CRMlog\Parameters

LogFile = "CSCOpx\log\syslog.log"

Hi

I can found registry settings but icant see any parameter which can tune the level for syslog.log.

Is that registry place where i should be able to tune

syslog.log log level.

I check again the the syslog.log and i found log level 6 syslogs(%SYS-6-CLOCKUPDATE) Now I am wondering why those spantree level 6 syslogs dont come to syslog.log.(%SPANTREE-6-PORT_STATE:)

All log settings looks fine for me

Console logging: level informational, 816 messages logged

Monitor logging: level informational, 0 messages logged

Buffer logging: level informational, 281 messages logged

Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)

Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled

File logging: disabled

Trap logging: level informational, 320 message lines logged

Logging to 10.x.x.x, 320 message lines logged

Thanks

Juha

Blue

Now I'm inclined to believe it's the switch's config. I think the following snippet should log both sys-6 and spantree-6 messages to a syslog server:

set logging level spantree 6 default

set logging level sys 6 default

set logging server facility LOCAL7

set logging server severity 6

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content