Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

SSH-TACACS+ on CatOS

I just enabled SSH and TACACS+ authentication on a 6506 switch running CatOS. It's working, but I noticed a a few weird things happening.

I can authenticate to the switch just fine. But once I'm logged in, every command I enter gets echoed after I press Enter. For instance, if I typed "show port 2/2", it displays "show port 2/2" on the next line before actually displaying the output of the command.

If I enter a command that has more than a page of output, it brings up the --More-- prompt as normal, but just pressing the spacebar to get the next page doesn't work. I have to press Space and then Enter to get the next page.

Lastly, after authenticating to the switch, I'll go to enter Enable mode. It prompts for the Enable password, but when I type the password in, it actually shows what I'm typing.

I'm running CatOS 8.3(7) and using Putty to SSH. Haven't seen this behavior on any of my other IOS devices or on my old 4006 switches that run CatOS as well. Anyone have a clue as to what might be causing this? I almost want to go back to Telnet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: SSH-TACACS+ on CatOS

This is an issue with PuTTY and CatOS. PuTTY tries SSHv2, and requests a pty. This fails on CatOS. Then PuTTY requests a shell which succeeds, but with local echo enabled. The workaround in PuTTY is to fallback to SSHv1. The other workaround is to use a different SSH client (e.g. SecureCRT).

The fix is to upgrade to 8.4(4). See CSCed69553.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

This is an issue with PuTTY and CatOS. PuTTY tries SSHv2, and requests a pty. This fails on CatOS. Then PuTTY requests a shell which succeeds, but with local echo enabled. The workaround in PuTTY is to fallback to SSHv1. The other workaround is to use a different SSH client (e.g. SecureCRT).

The fix is to upgrade to 8.4(4). See CSCed69553.

Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I don't think my 6506 has the memory to get to the version (it's running an old Sup1a). But I can work around it. I don't remote into those switches often anyways.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content