cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Switches

zengxing
Level 1
Level 1

If I stack multiple switches, is it consider to be two devices or just once device? Is the configuration file seperate or consolidated as one file?

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Stacked devices are managed as one device via the Stack Master.

Hi zen,

you can stack maximum of 9 switches together & all the switches will act as 1 single switch or single unit & the configurations will be stored in 1 single file"config.text" & also if remainings switches has got different versions of IOS, the higher version of IOS image will be transferred automactically to the other switches. The stack master will be decided based on the following criteria.

switch up time, switch mac address, switch IOS version etc...

hope this helps.

rate this post if cleared.

Hi Anand,

I just stumbled across this thread & i would like to join the discussion.

Currently i am having 3x3750 switches on a stack.Since i am short of ports i will have to add two more switches to the existing stack.

My concern here is with the stack master.The two switches i am thinking of adding is having a higher IOS ver.Is there any way that i can make sure that the existing stack master will continue to be the stackmaster.

Pls help me out with this regard,

Belated New Year Wishes!!!!!!!

Thanx in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raj.

Hi Raj,

Thanks for ur belated new year wishes & wishing you the same. regd. ur question, YES ur existing stack master will continue as a stack master only, the moment you connect your new switches, the stack master will update its IOS to your newly added switches & NOT the newly added switches will update its IOS to the existing stack master, referring to my earlier response, the stack master will be decided only at the time of powering ON the SWITCH.

i repeat it decides on the following...

switch UP time, switch MAC address, switch IOS version etc...

hope this helps.

rate this post if cleared.

Hi Anand,

Thanx for your response,So the only thing i have to do is to make sure that the existing stack master is powered on before any other switches. Right!!!!!!!!

Thanx once again.......

Raj.

Hi Raj,

I think ur in a confussion about the stack master, the stack master will decide on the scenario which i have mentioned in my previous replies, even a stack master can be a any other switches & you need not have to worry about those things, still the configuration remains the same.

Note: even if an existing stack master switch fails, the other switch will immediately act as a stack master,still the configuration remains the same, only on the switch which has failed users will get affected,configuration of the switches will not get affected as the switch will act as stack master.

hope now u might be clear.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: