Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Statistic collection Netflow and SNMP, peak, average

SNMP

We have an Orion device that is collecting via SNMP polls on hundreds of switches and routers. The collection for each device is about once every 15 minutes.

I am wondering how the data is represented on the graph, if the coellection only happens every 15 minutes.

Would the graphing tool just draw straight lines between the points fifteen minutes apart?

For example, if the collection is taken and the interface utilization is at 50% when taken, then utilization shoots up to 100% for fourteen minutes, then goes back down to 50% when the next poll is taken, will I totally miss the period of 100% utilization?

Do routers and switches have any type of SNMP buffer that will show the peaks that can be collected?

Does the "load-interval" comman on the interface affect this at all?

Netflow

We also have all devices sending information to a netflow collector. The collector is showing that the update is every minute.

Do routers and switches constantly send netflow information to the collector in real time?

The routers have top talkers configured on each interface:

ip flow top-talkers

top ten

sort-by bytes

cache-timeout 3600000

My understanding is that the cache-timeout in in milliseconds, which would be an hour.

Does this mean I can do "sh ip flow top-talkers" and the device will not update this information for an hour?

Also, how does this affect the information received ny the collector, if it does?

Views
Helpful
Replies