Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange links in Topology Services

cmartinvalle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have a LMS 2.6 and we obtain some strange links in Topology Services, they are the black wide lines in the file TSMap.jpg.

This line shouldn't appear in the topology map and it should be replace by a link between the two switches.

We have delete these links and perform a new data collection serveral times and always appear again.

We have the latest version of all the CiscoWorks modules, included Campus Manager 4.0.11.

How can we delete these lines forever?

Thanks.

13 Replies 13

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This either indicates bad CDP information between the two devices, or some bad data in the database. Post an snmpalk of the cdpCacheTable from both devices. Is there a hub between these two devices, or are they directly connected back-to-back?

Hi Joe,

there is no hubs between these devices. I attach the snmpwalk output you requested me.

Many thanks.

I don't see any problems in the CDP caches. You could try deleting these two devices from Campus Manager, then perform a new Data Collection to see if the bus link goes away.

hi joe,

I'm Carlos' collegue. Now, I'm doing the tracking of this incident. We deleted these two devices from Campus Manager and then perform a new Data Collection but the problem continues.

Any idea?

Thanks

The last thing to try, given the good CDP data, is a reinitialization of the ANI database. To do this, run:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=ani dmprefix=ANI

These lines are normal for gigastack connections....or for stack-ports.

If you had more than two switches in the stack then you would see a common line between all the switches. Also you would notice that a "show cdp ne" will show you all the switches(in the stack) on the same gig port.

Hi all,

The customer says that they haven't got stack ports else gigaethernet normal ports.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

My use of term "stack ports" is not entirely correct.

I have the same "dark fat black lines" where I have 2950's connected via "a-1000 1000BaseCX Gigastack" connectors. The line jsut indicates 1000 ethernet. SFP connections with Gig connections do nto show this way.

Nothing wrong with the display, but if the customer is not satisfied, they shd. contact Cisco and they will get a similar explanation (i think).

P.S. Legend shows dark line is active 1000 in topology help.

Bus links are typically not a good thing. Even in a stack connection, as long as the link is point-to-point, you should see a single line connected the two devices. A bus on a point-to-point link indicates bad data, usually caused by a link which is no longer in topology.

The problem maybe with the IOS then. As in my switches, when I do a "sh cd ne" : the output will show me "mutiple switches" on the same switchport - which is to me what the bus link represents...i.e. all switches see all the other neighbours.

If you have multiple CDP neighbors on one port, then a bus link is expected. That was not the case in the CDP output from the thread's author.

but these Gigastack are indeed different to 'normal' GBICs and produce a half duplex link if both ports of one GigaStack are used...

this is seen as a bus link on topology - and it is correct

have alook here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps872/products_data_sheet09186a00800a1789.html

j-fragoso
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for the two.I'm going to inform the customer to see if it is satisfied

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: