cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

stray IPMDB.db?

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Without fail, there's always a copy of IPMDB.db left in the / file system after restorebackup on LMS 3.1. Is this file needed?

13 Replies 13

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No.

Is this an oversight in restorebackup.pl that it does this? We have limited space in /, so this runs the risk of filling it up.

The old IPM data is cleaned up at the very end of the data migration process. However, there appears to be a bug with this. The code is looking for something like /backups/0/ipm/IPMDB.db. However, I believe the actual structure is /backups/0/ipm/database/IPMDB.db. However, I have no idea how a copy of IPMDB.db could end up in /.

This sounds rather similar to my previous issue where restorebackup.pl was looking for ani.db in /backups/0/campus/database/, but wrapper.pl had it in /backups/0/cmf/ani.db, because of messed-up /opt/CSCOpx/backup/manifest/cmf/database/cmf.txt and /opt/CSCOpx/backup/manifest/campus/database/ani.txt.

Here's the source LMS(2.6)'s /opt/CSCOpx/backup/manifest/ipm/database/ipm.txt

"ipm.txt" 2 lines, 44 characters

[ipm]

root=/opt/CSCOpx/databases/ipm/ipm.db

This is right. A problem with the manifest file would also not explain how a copy winds up in /. But as I said, I believe there is a bug in which the old IPM database will not be cleaned up after migration.

Could there a fix be [made] available for this bug?

I would need to know the actual layout of the ipm backup directory first (i.e. an ls -alR).

Attached is the layout of ipm produced by wrapper.pl:

Yes, this is a bug, and I can provide a fix if you open a service request.

Thanks. Is there a bug ID I can make reference to?

No, and the more I look at the code, I don't think this fix is really needed. It certainly wouldn't clean up an IPMDB.db in /. Can you identify where exactly in the migration process this /IPMDB.db gets created?

How precise does the identification have to be? Would the migration.log plus the timestamp of IPMDB.db suffice?

Maybe. It would have to be fairly precise to track down the exact bit of code that is causing the problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: