cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog automated action -

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

There's a perl script that comes with CiscoWorks that allows an email to be sent when a particular message is received. What would be cool is if an snmp trap could be sent to a management station instead of or along with the email.

Net-SNMP has an snmptrap utility that will let you send snmp traps from a command line. HP Openview does as well. I would think one could incorporate this as a syslog automated action...

I see where CiscoWorks can send traps for configuration changes but that's it I think!

Has anyone got creative and done this or know of anyone who has?

3 Replies 3

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Defining Automated Action specifies command-line instructions to be executed automatically whenever Syslog Analyzer receives a specific message type. You can define a script that sends the messages to the server, to be executed by the automated action. Check out the following link for information on configuring automated action :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_tech_note09186a00800a7275.shtml

Hey,

I'm using RME 3.5 on Windows 2000. What actually goes in the Command Line section? I created a batch file with the perl commands and parameters, do I put that in the command line? And, no matter what I do when I use -text_message $M or $D, I get "$D" or "$M" as the text and not the passed device or message information. TIA.

w.kuhn
Level 1
Level 1

Yes...got it setup in Syslog Analysis. We have OV and Ciscoworks running on same server. Also got OV to run a script to send sms alerts if Ciscoworks receives sev 0-2 traps...very useful (but also anoying in midnight hours)

/opt/adm/OV/bin/send_alert -text_message $M -sms_ids xxxxx -email_ids xxxx@xxxx.com -subject Core_Switch_Alerts -from Syslog Analysis