Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Syslog automated action -

There's a perl script that comes with CiscoWorks that allows an email to be sent when a particular message is received. What would be cool is if an snmp trap could be sent to a management station instead of or along with the email.

Net-SNMP has an snmptrap utility that will let you send snmp traps from a command line. HP Openview does as well. I would think one could incorporate this as a syslog automated action...

I see where CiscoWorks can send traps for configuration changes but that's it I think!

Has anyone got creative and done this or know of anyone who has?

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Syslog automated action -

Defining Automated Action specifies command-line instructions to be executed automatically whenever Syslog Analyzer receives a specific message type. You can define a script that sends the messages to the server, to be executed by the automated action. Check out the following link for information on configuring automated action :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_tech_note09186a00800a7275.shtml

Hey,

I'm using RME 3.5 on Windows 2000. What actually goes in the Command Line section? I created a batch file with the perl commands and parameters, do I put that in the command line? And, no matter what I do when I use -text_message $M or $D, I get "$D" or "$M" as the text and not the passed device or message information. TIA.

Yes...got it setup in Syslog Analysis. We have OV and Ciscoworks running on same server. Also got OV to run a script to send sms alerts if Ciscoworks receives sev 0-2 traps...very useful (but also anoying in midnight hours)

/opt/adm/OV/bin/send_alert -text_message $M -sms_ids xxxxx -email_ids xxxx@xxxx.com -subject Core_Switch_Alerts -from Syslog Analysis

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content