cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog Collector Status is currently not available

w.kuhn
Level 1
Level 1

Have upgraded from 2.5.1 to 2.6. Since upgrade i'm not getting any syslog notifications. looking at the "Syslog Collector Status" error message 'SLCA0132: Collector Status is

currently not available. Check

whether the SyslogAnalyzer process

is running normally' appears. No workaround published.

Have restarted Syslog Collector and Analyzer processes... no luck.

Searching release notes on Cisco.com, only reference is on...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/prod_release_note09186a00807184c8.html#wp1167836

BugID: CSCsb59419

My Ciscoworks is running on Windows platform.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Will

3 Replies 3

w.kuhn
Level 1
Level 1

Problem resolved itself 65min after daemon manager restarted!!! .... must be a windows thing 'cos it just can't be CiscoWorks.

It is a Windows thing. The way name resolution works in Windows is to look at the local COMPUTERNAME, then the hosts file, then DNS/WINS, then NetBIOS. If Windows gets all the way down to NetBIOS, it will send directed NetBIOS queries to each device. This can cause resolution to take around four seconds per IP address.

When it comes to SyslogAnalyzer, each automated action will cause SA to try and resolve every associated IP address at start time. This can take a very long time depending on the number of devices/IPs and automated actions. The best solution is to make sure every IP is in either the local hosts file on Windows or in DNS.

A less acceptable workaround is to disable NetBIOS over TCP. This will effectively disable your ability to mount SMB shares over TCP, though.

Thanks Joe..

It makes sense as I have a number of automated actions and Device IP's to resolve.

Cheers

Will