cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

syslog.log in LMS2.5.1

ngholmieh
Level 1
Level 1

I was browsing the C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log folder and the size of the syslog.log file caught my attention. It is 6.5GB.

I was not able to open it to check its content.

I know that the syslog messages are being logged in a different folder (in rme) and rotated every day.

What is the syslog.log file? Why isn't it being rotated? Is it safe to delete it?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Syslog messages are first logged to syslog.log (by default) then are read from that file, and stored in the rmeng database. If you have moved the syslog message file to some other location (this is not easy to do in LMS 2.5.1), then it is safe to delete that file. You can use the command C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logview.exe to see the last messages in this file (use Control+Break to exit logview).

However, I'm betting that this is still the active message file. In that case, you can use C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logrot.pl to rotate this file. See the online help for more details on configuring logrot.pl, but basically:

C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\perl C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logrot.pl -c

Will get you started. If you have a disk space emergency, and need to immediately zero out the file, you can run C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logrot_trunc.exe on it, then configure logfile rotation to keep disk space under control moving forward.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Syslog messages are first logged to syslog.log (by default) then are read from that file, and stored in the rmeng database. If you have moved the syslog message file to some other location (this is not easy to do in LMS 2.5.1), then it is safe to delete that file. You can use the command C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logview.exe to see the last messages in this file (use Control+Break to exit logview).

However, I'm betting that this is still the active message file. In that case, you can use C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logrot.pl to rotate this file. See the online help for more details on configuring logrot.pl, but basically:

C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\perl C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logrot.pl -c

Will get you started. If you have a disk space emergency, and need to immediately zero out the file, you can run C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logrot_trunc.exe on it, then configure logfile rotation to keep disk space under control moving forward.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: