cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog.log

u346874_2
Level 1
Level 1

If i want to delete or backup syslog.log what is right way to do that. When deleting that file does it influence the syslogs what i see in RME(device center) or syslog flat files in nmsroot\log\logbackup. Syslog.log is now almost 600000KB and i think its time to do somenthing but what is the best way to handle this. Any experience

Juha

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The messages first go into syslog.log

The syslog analyzer process reads the syslog.log file every few seconds and adds the messages to the database

Once the messages are in the database, they can be removed from syslog.log

logrot is the utility to use if you want to purge syslog.log

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Ok thanks.

Any information for that another question what i am worried about or is that utility solution for that too.

"When deleting that file does it influence the syslogs what i see in RME(device center) or syslog flat files in nmsroot\log\logbackup"

It does not. The device center reads the messages from the database, not from syslog.log

Is the syslog.log the first step for incoming syslogs and from there database "reads" logs depending what are your determination in purge policy.

I try to understand the chain how does syslogs move in RME.

Juha

The messages first go into syslog.log

The syslog analyzer process reads the syslog.log file every few seconds and adds the messages to the database

Once the messages are in the database, they can be removed from syslog.log

logrot is the utility to use if you want to purge syslog.log

Now i got it. Thank you Nadim

Juha

Hi

i am also searching for the same

the link provided is not working.

Regards

Mayur