Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Syslog Message

I would like to stop Link status and Line Protocol status from being sent to my cisco works syslog server. How would I go about doing this? I would assume just allowing certain types of snmp traps to the server, but does that work for the logging function also? I have put the no snmp-server link-status in and that stops the link up/link down messages, but not the LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN data-link messages. I know I can filter in Cisco Works, but I am trying to stop this unwanted traffic from even going over the network unless it is for our trunk links.

3 REPLIES

Re: Syslog Message

logging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

logging trap

interface range 1 - 24 (or ever how many ports)

no logging event link-status

the interface range command doesn't work on some devices like 2900XL switches so you have to go into each interface and enter the no logging event link-status command

I'm not sure about the line protocol status.....

also, those are the commands to log messages to a syslog server on IOS switches. On routers I just use:

logging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

logging trap < one of the severity levels in the message above>

there's no need to issue no logging event link-status on a router

on CatOS switches I use:

set logging server enable

set logging server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

set logging server severity <7,6,5,4,3,2,1 or 0>

4 is the default logging severity level on a lot of CatOS switches. you will see this in sh conf all

Views
Helpful
Replies