Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Syslog Messages from Campus Mgr 3.3 -

I have 3 RME 3.5 servers that connect to 3 seperate syslog servers using the RSAC software. Also, I have, on 6 other boxes, Campus Mgr. 3.3.

On the Campus Mgr boxes, I see where I can generate syslog messages under Campus Manager> Administration> Generate Syslog. Also on that screen, when I put a check mark by Enable Syslog Generation, I also need to select a Syslog server.

My questions are:

1) Should I use an ip address of one of the remote syslog servers that has the RSAC software installed?

2) or should I use the IP address of one of the RME boxes to send the syslog messages to?

3) will the Campus Mgr server name appear somewhere in the syslog message or how can I tell if the message actually came from Campus?

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Syslog Messages from Campus Mgr 3.3 -

you can send this to any syslog server you wish or to any Resource Manager Essentials (Essentials) server that is used as a syslog server.

If you are sending it to the RSAC server then the other servers will get it from one central location.

You can then view the syslog messages using the Unexpected Device Report feature of the Essentials application: Resource Manager Essentials > Syslog Analysis > Unexpected Device Report.

Checking now for the message sender id

Cisco Employee

I just set this up on my server in two scenarios:

1) Campus Manager sending to another RME server (remote) and in the log it had:

IP Address of Syslog Server (192.168.1.40)

Facility CISCOWORKS-CampusManager

2) Campus Manager sending to RME (installed on same server)

IP Address 127.0.0.1

Facility CISCOWORKS-CampusManager

The mnemonic was like this:

DCRP_LINK_TRUNK

Description:

[172.16.1.2,GigabitEthernet0/7],[172.16.1.7,GigabitEthernet0/1]

Community Member

I pointed 2 of the 6 Campus servers to 1 of the remote syslog servers where the RSAC software is installed.

I pointed 2 others to 1 of the 3 RME servers. Each have all discrepencies selected.

I will keep an eye out for messages w/ a facility of CISCOWORKS-CampusManager.

If I don't see anything for the next several hours, I will post back.

Can you post the complete syslog message back?

Thnks

Community Member

I enabled all possible discrepancies to log to one of the RME servers. I haven't seen anything unusual appear in the Unexpected Device Report yet. What file do these messages get written to on the RME 3.5 servers (solaris)?

Cisco Employee

I would look in the /var/log directory at your syslog file there. It will take some time to get into the log file and then for RME to pull it into the application

Community Member

Can you please post the syslog message that you generated from your Campus Mgr Server?

Thank you.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content