Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

syslog messages in cisco works

Dear All,

We are planning to install ciscoworks for our campus network, we have 2 6006 L3 switches with 4006/3500 access switches. With Pix520/525.

Can any body tell me the good cisco link to study weather i am getting all types of log messages, like syslog,violation logs etc....

Thanks & Regards,

ciscobuddy

5 REPLIES

Re: syslog messages in cisco works

Dear All,

Can anybody suggest me which ciscoworks module i have to buy for campus network. we have 2000 seater call centre.

Thanks & Regards,

Ciscobuddy

RME is great for inventory, configuration management, syslog reporting and a few other things.

DFM does pretty much the same thing that gets accomplished by configuring the devices to log messages to a syslog server but has a few other features. DFM is not scalable though. It doesn't sound like your network is that large though.

Campus Manager is good for getting a logical view of the network, being able to quickly perform searches on things like what switch port a pc might be connected to when you only know the IP or MAC address and quiet a few other things.

CiscoWorks is expensive and needs to be setup correctly to acheive the full benefits.

Go to cisco.com and search for "syslog error messages".

The commands I use that work fine in this environment:

for IOS devices:

logging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

logging trap

(severity levels are informational, notifications, warnings, errors, critical, alerts and errors)

for CatOS devices:

set logging server enable

set logging server severity <7,6,5,4,3,2,1 or 0>

Note: debug is level 7

I left out a command on the CatOS devices:

set logging server enable

set logging server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

set logging server severity <7,6,5,4,3,2,1 or 0>

One thing I left out. On interfaces we don't care about, we issue the command 'no logging event link-status'. We have a lot of 3500 IOS based switches that are used for user's PCs. We will issue this command on all fastethernet interfaces but not on the Gig interfaces. This cuts down on the # of messages sent to the syslog server.

For a 3550-24s:

logging xxx.xxx.XXX.XXX

logging trap notifications

interface range fastEthernet 0/1 - 24

no logging event link-status

Views
Helpful
Replies