Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Syslog setup question

Hi,

I have LMS 2.5 running at a remote site. I want to use kiwi syslogd on my PC and have network discrepancies sent to the kiwi syslogd from the remote LMS server. When I configure network discrepancies what do I enter for the syslog server name? Will my ip address plus the port number (x.x.x.x:514) work? Thanks

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Syslog setup question

I'm not sure if LMS will act as a remote syslog collector to anything other than another LMS server.

Although syslogs are sent intially on port 514, in that scenario it wouldn't use port 514, but instead the RSAC uses TCP port 33291 and UDP port 42342 to communicate with the other LMS server.

Thanks for the reply. In the Campus Manager application you can provide the hostname or IP address of a syslog server to send selected discrepancies to at the:

Admin>Network Discrepancy>Report to Syslog Server page

On this page there is a box where you can enter the syslog server. Since the LMS server is in a remote location relative to me I entered the following for the syslog server:

x.x.x.x:port

I'm not sure if my symtax is correct for my syslog server, that is part of my question. I'm using Kiwi syslogd on my PC, but I'm not sure whether I need to configure some settings on it as well. All I've done is to install it as an application and launch it.

Thanks for any help.

Red

The documentation states server name. Specifying the port could cause problems.

Try sniffing packets received on port UDP 514 (syslog) and see if anything is making it to your syslog server from LMS.

Views
Helpful
Replies