Views
Helpful
Replies

Tech Access Device?

brad_olson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I was wondering what Cisco calls this device. I have always known it as a TAD (tech access device). It is basically a modem with multiple serial ports so you can console into your devices if a WAN link fails. Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad Olson

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brad

I think that what you describe as TAD is what many of us would call Terminal Server. If you look on the Cisco web site for Terminal Server you should find materials about this. If you have a Cisco router with some asyn ports you can use it as a terminal server. The router would have async ports which you can connect to the console port of other devices and you use reverse telnet on the router to connect to the remote console. The terminal server may have a connection onto the network so that you can access the terminal server or it may be connected to a modem so that you can dial into it and perform out of band management.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brad

I think that what you describe as TAD is what many of us would call Terminal Server. If you look on the Cisco web site for Terminal Server you should find materials about this. If you have a Cisco router with some asyn ports you can use it as a terminal server. The router would have async ports which you can connect to the console port of other devices and you use reverse telnet on the router to connect to the remote console. The terminal server may have a connection onto the network so that you can access the terminal server or it may be connected to a modem so that you can dial into it and perform out of band management.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: