cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Topology Link error

rdanevich
Level 1
Level 1

I changed the physical connection between a 2950 switch and 1900 switch to the 2950 switch and a 3560 switch.

Device Discovery correctly indetifies the CDP neighbor order. The Data Collection however maintains the old neighbor relationship, thus a red-link out-of-network now shows up on my Topology map. How can this be resolved?

LMS 2.6

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If Data Collection is still picking this up, one of the devices is either still advertising the link via CDP, or there is a stuck topo endpoint in the database.

To troubleshoot the first problem, get an snmpwalk of the cdpCacheTable from the two devices showing the dead link. Verify that the CDP entry no longer exists. If it does, you can try clearing the CDP cache on the device(s) that have the stale information. If that doesn't work, you will need to do a reload.

If the CDP info is correct, then the database has some stale data. You can try deleting the two devices in question from the topo map, then run a new Data Collection. If that doesn't work, you will need to reinitialize the ANI database:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/campus/bin/reinitdb.pl -restore

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can right-click on the link on the topology map and remove it. The link is still shown in case you did not mean for it to go away.

I've done this. Link gone, ran a new Discovery (CDP neighbor log reports correctly), ran a Data Collection, link comes back this time in RED(out-of-Network). View the Data Collection log, Old CDP neighbor info.

If Data Collection is still picking this up, one of the devices is either still advertising the link via CDP, or there is a stuck topo endpoint in the database.

To troubleshoot the first problem, get an snmpwalk of the cdpCacheTable from the two devices showing the dead link. Verify that the CDP entry no longer exists. If it does, you can try clearing the CDP cache on the device(s) that have the stale information. If that doesn't work, you will need to do a reload.

If the CDP info is correct, then the database has some stale data. You can try deleting the two devices in question from the topo map, then run a new Data Collection. If that doesn't work, you will need to reinitialize the ANI database:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/campus/bin/reinitdb.pl -restore

I did the SNMP walk (CW is EXTREMELY slow when doing this with Device Center, plus I didn't see the cdpCacheTable. No Cisco-CDP MIB for this in CiscoWorks?) Anyways I used the Getif Freeware program to view the cdpCacheTable, and as suspected there were no entries in the cdpCacheTable that didn't belong.

I deleted the two devices from the Topology view. I also successfully deleted the devices from RME>Device Management. When I tried to delete them from Common Services>Device and Credentials>Device Management I got an "error unknown - null" message. Re-ran the Device Discovery and Data Collection. No change in status!

I reinitialized the ANI database as you suggested as the final option and this did the trick!!! Only thing is my Custom View didn't remain intact. :-(

Thanks for all your help Joe! I hope these ratings get you a raise cause your knowledge is invaluable to the Cisco Community!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: