cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Topology Services SNMPv3 error

ckeithjones
Level 1
Level 1

I am running Campus Manager 5.0.2 and since going to snmpv3 Topology Services is showing almost half of our 1000 devices as unreachable/unconnected devices. However, credential checks on these devices show good snmpv3 response. Also, these devices have many CDP neighbors but none show in Device Center. Not sure if it's related but I'm trying to give all information.

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should really consider upgrading to Campus Manager 5.0.5. You could be seeing a known issue where Data Collection does not complete due to a NullPointerException. In the meantime, try reinitializing the ANI database, then run a new Campus Data Collection to see if your devices return:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=ani dmprefix=ANI

I upgraded to 5.0.5 but the issue still persists. Is there a way to check a device that is showing as unreachable and see exactly what is failing? The credential check for snmpv3 shows as good.

A sniffer trace of udp/161 traffic to one of the unreachable devices during a Campus Data Collection would be helpful. Even with debug, the log will just say, "unreachable." The report packet sent back from the device will say why.

The packet capture shows this message.

Source: Ciscoworks server

Destination: switch

"Source port 2417 Destination port: 161[Malformed Packet]". Have you ever seen this?

This is certainly a bug in the capture program you're using (most likely wireshark). Please post the binary capture file.

Here you go.

I don't know what filters you applied here, but it appears that the device is not replying. This is strange as even if the user data was wrong, the device should reply with a report packet. It could be that the SNMP is being filtered on the network. You might try enabling "debug snmp packet" on the target device to see if the request is making it to the device.

What I can gleam from the packet is that you're using the username radmin, and this is a poll for sysDescr.0, sysObjectID.0, sysUpTime.0, and sysName.0.

Based on some of the issues we are having with CW and snmpv3 we have decided to postpone our migration about 6 months. Thanks for your help on this. Hopefully, when we pick it back up I can figure it out then. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: