cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Shapping

mmubarak
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco 877 ADSL router and 8Mbps bandwidth, I have 2 subnets on my LAN for each subnet I want to dedicate 4Mbps.

Weather it can be done by policy map or traffic shapping.What is best configurations to apply on Cisco 877.

3 Replies 3

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

Traffic policing propagates bursts. When the traffic rate reaches the configured maximum rate, excess traffic is dropped (or remarked). The result is an output rate that appears as a saw-tooth with crests and troughs. In contrast to policing, traffic shaping retains excess packets in a queue and then schedules the excess for later transmission over increments of time. The result of traffic shaping is a smoothed packet output rate.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a3a25.shtml#policingvsshaping

I need exact configurations for Traffic Shaping and Policy Mapping for

Cisco 877,as tried but with no result.

Vlan1 is having local IP with inside nat.

Hi Mohammad,

The link given to you almost would've done the job except it didnt explain adding the policy to the interface.

I've indicated the steps and necesary config for you below.

First you need to identify the traffic to police:

ip access-list extended SOME_TRAFFIC

permit ip x.x.x.x x.x.x.x x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

class-map TRAFFIC_TO_SHAPE

match list SOME_TRAFFIC

Next define your policy:

policy-map SHAPE_TRAFFIC

class TRAFFIC_TO_SHAPE

shape average 4000000

Apply your policy:

config-if)#service-policy output SHAPE_TRAFFIC

HTH

Regards

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: