cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble installing SDM onto a 2651xm

ph0enix
Level 1
Level 1

Installed SDM 2.3.1 on a PC and I'm able to connect to the router from it using SDM Launcher but I would like to install it onto the router so I can access the interface from a Mac. Since the GUI setup doesn't work, can I somehow manualy install SDM onto the router via TFTP?

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies 7

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

(1)What is the error you are getting while u r installing?

(2)What is the router,IOS and flash/ram

Regards

JD

The error:

"Connection could not be established with the router. Please try again later."

Platform: 2651XM

Flash: 32MB (14MB free)

RAM: 128MB (48MB free)

IOS: 12.4(9T) - I've tried it with other 12.4 versions (same result)

I can use SDM just fine if it's installed on the PC I'm connecting from but it won't install onto the flash.

Thanks!

It looks like you meet HW/SW requirements. Take a look at these links

Downloading and Installing Cisco Router and Security Device Manager

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5318/prod_installation_guide09186a00803e4727.html

Release Notes for Cisco Router and Security Device Manager 2.3.1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5318/prod_release_note09186a00806725b2.html#wp69214

Thanks for the links. I've read the releasse notes and followed the installation instructions before posting this. Any other ideas?

I've figured out how to manually install SDM onto the flash. All you have to do is copy sdm.tar and common.tar to the router's flash. After you do that, when you connect to the router via HTTP or HTTPS, it'll give display the option to run SDM. Strangely though, when SDM loads, it displays version 2.1 even though I copied the files from the 2.3.1 package. When I run it from a PC, it displays the version number correctly.

Hello ph0enix,

Why don't you manually delete all of the SDM files manually from the router, and then re-copy them back on just to make sure you've got the correct files installed.

Thanks for the response. I did that twice so I'm sure I have the right files. The version number is just bogus.