Helpful
Replies

Troubleshooting RME Inventory collection

ari_weisz
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a router that just won't inventory in RME. I've checked:

1) Device is supported - Cisco 2651XM

2) Device IOS is supported - greater than 12.1 (14)

3) Credentials are correct - credential verification report shows that

4) SNMP communication is permitted - snmpwalk is successfull from the CW host

What really has me confused is I've got the configuration archiving successfully, it just won't inventory.

Anyone have any further suggestions of things I can look at?

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check the IC_Server.log for errors pertaining to this device. It could be a bug in RME or a bug in the device instrumentation.

Hi jclarke, thanks for your reply.

Is there any way I can tell what kind of bug I'm dealing with from the log? I'm running the latest RME, but I can patch that much easier than I can upgrade the IOS on the router so I'd rather it was at fault.

From the log all looks okay until:

[ Fri Dec 22 10:34:28 GMT 2006 ],ERROR,[Thread-14],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController,685, Collection failed for the device : 206

com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.ags.system.CollectionFailed: com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.ags.system.CollectionFailed: com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpAgentLoopException: Terminating walk : Agent Loop detected.

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedInventoryRouter.ContainmentAGI_ENTITY_Mib.populatingTheChassis(ContainmentAGI_ENTITY_Mib.java:192)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedInventoryRouter.ContainmentAGI_ENTITY_Mib.g$eval(ContainmentAGI_ENTITY_Mib.java:124)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.ags.ContainmentAGI.g$eval(ContainmentAGI.java:21)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.SdiEngine.initAndEvalAGIs(SdiEngine.java:301)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.SdiEngine.request(SdiEngine.java:226)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.SdiEngine.getDevRepr(SdiEngine.java:219)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController.run(CollectionController.java:467)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

[ Fri Dec 22 10:34:28 GMT 2006 ],INFO ,[Thread-14],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController,767,Device collection failed for x.x.x.x

cheers, Ari.

This is a device bug. The device is looping in the ENTITY-MIB. You should open a TAC Service Request so additional debugging can be done (i.e. obtain a sniffer trace to know which objects are looping), and a bug can be located.

Hello.

I have exactly the same problem.

I have 2 devices : (same hardware, same IOS, etc...)

For one it functions well.

For the other it does NOT function.

When i Do a "snmpwalk" from the DOS windows, i have a loop on this object :

iso.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.1.20.168.40.2 = IpAddress: 20.168.40.2

iso.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.1.20.118.240.1 = IpAddress: 20.118.240.1

Error: OID not increasing: iso.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.1.20.168.40.2

>= iso.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.1.20.118.240.1

When i launch an "update inventory" from Ciscoworks and sniff the flows with the WXP "network monitor" tool, the loop is located on these OB ID :

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.10.1.1.2.1.x

I can send you the trace

Thks