Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

types of cisco IOS

Hello,

i have to upgrade our cisco 2811 router, because of a buggy IOS version - 12.4(3a) with advanced security feature.

I'm not involved with handling IOS versions. What are the important differences between General Deployment (GD), Limited Deployment (LD) and Early Deployment (ED). Is the T behind the version number somewhat like - not stable - testing?

I plan to update from

c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3a.bin

to

c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-8.bin

Except nvi configuration - for natting with replacing the original source ip from outside with the routers internal ip - there is no special configuration on the router so far.

VPN and HSRP will follow later...

So the "big" upgrade jump from 12.4 (3a) to 12.4 (8) should be no problem? Or is this upgrade jump not as big as I think?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: types of cisco IOS

Hi,

This is what cisco defines ED, GD and LD.

Early Deployment (ED)

Software releases that provide new features and new platform support in addition to bug fixes.

Limited Deployment (LD)

A Major Release of Cisco IOS or a Release Train of CatOS software is said to be in the "Limited Deployment" phase of its lifecycle during the period between Early Deployment (ED) and the General Deployment (GD) milestone. No new features or new platform support is added in this phase, only bug fixes.

General Deployment (GD)

Date at which this software release reached the "General Deployment" milestone in its lifecycle. A Major Release of Cisco IOS or a Release Train of CatOS software reaches the "General Deployment" milestone when Cisco feels it is suitable for deployment anywhere in customer networks where the features and functionality of the release are required. An example of a Cisco IOS Major Release which has reached GD is:12.2. An example of a CatOS Release Train that has reached GD is 7.x. Criteria for reaching the "General Deployment" milestone are based on, but not limited to, customer feedback surveys from production and test networks using the releases, CE bug reports, and reported field experience.

As per your "jump" I dont believe that there is anything that you will gain.

In 3a ver. there are unique features such as

"FHRP - Enhanced Object Tracking of IP SLAs

Firewall Intrusion Detection (IDS) Signature Enhancements

Reverse Route Injection "

and in 8 ver is

"Embedded Event Manager (EEM) 1.0

PPTP with MPPE ".

....rest all the features are same.

Pls rate the post if it had helped.

Regards

JD

1 REPLY

Re: types of cisco IOS

Hi,

This is what cisco defines ED, GD and LD.

Early Deployment (ED)

Software releases that provide new features and new platform support in addition to bug fixes.

Limited Deployment (LD)

A Major Release of Cisco IOS or a Release Train of CatOS software is said to be in the "Limited Deployment" phase of its lifecycle during the period between Early Deployment (ED) and the General Deployment (GD) milestone. No new features or new platform support is added in this phase, only bug fixes.

General Deployment (GD)

Date at which this software release reached the "General Deployment" milestone in its lifecycle. A Major Release of Cisco IOS or a Release Train of CatOS software reaches the "General Deployment" milestone when Cisco feels it is suitable for deployment anywhere in customer networks where the features and functionality of the release are required. An example of a Cisco IOS Major Release which has reached GD is:12.2. An example of a CatOS Release Train that has reached GD is 7.x. Criteria for reaching the "General Deployment" milestone are based on, but not limited to, customer feedback surveys from production and test networks using the releases, CE bug reports, and reported field experience.

As per your "jump" I dont believe that there is anything that you will gain.

In 3a ver. there are unique features such as

"FHRP - Enhanced Object Tracking of IP SLAs

Firewall Intrusion Detection (IDS) Signature Enhancements

Reverse Route Injection "

and in 8 ver is

"Embedded Event Manager (EEM) 1.0

PPTP with MPPE ".

....rest all the features are same.

Pls rate the post if it had helped.

Regards

JD

Views