cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unique ip

aksher
Level 1
Level 1

is the public ip always unique..i believe it varies from ISP to ISP..

4 Replies 4

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Yes,

Normaly your would get one or more public IP adresses from the range that has been assigned to that ISP.

As it is an official address it has to be unique.

Cheers

Michel

Every public IP address what is provided by ISP are always UNIQUE. It's guaranteed by some communities like RIPE (further info check www.ripe.net)

There are two kind of public IP: PI - Provider Independent and PA - Provider Aggregated.

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

What's aggregate IP?

PA IP is provided by ISP and not directly RIPE. ISP can provide IPs what they request firstly from the proper community (like RIPE) and after they divide this range into more subnets and they give to you this small IP range like /29.

PA IP address is usually accepted only ISP who gave to you this range, so if you have two internet connection and the first is down and you want to connect to the internet using your second line you can't use the first ISP PA IP addresses to connect to the internet, there is no route in the second ISP backbone for the first ISP IP range.

And in case of PI, since both provider has route for that independent IP range you can use the second internet line in case of failure of first.

I hope you can catch PA...

www.ripe.net - you can read more info

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.