Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from LMS 2.2 to LMS 2.5.1

parvs_cmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are currently using LMS 2.2 & thinkin g of upgrading to LMS 2.5.1.Can anyone who is using 2.5 ver tell me,is it better than 2.2 or if any issues are there with it.Also after some time we would like to integrate it with HPOV 7.5,Is it possible????????

Thanks in Advance

21 Replies 21

Jason Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm probably biased (being a NM guy at Cisco in Advanced Services *grin*)

LMS 2.5.1 is pretty much an entirely new product. The GUI is very different. There are many new features that are desirable - no Java Plugin requirements for RME (some for Campus Topo and IPM). RME has some nice new capabilities for customers that are trying to do config compliance checking (HIPAA/Sarbanes-Oxley) - that is RME Baseline Templates. Broader device support - no more device limitations on Detailed device report, NetConfig, etc. If you want to do a software upgrade on all 5000 devices that the product is supported to, we'll let you do it... :)

OV NNM 7.5 can be integrated.

Jason Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm probably biased (being a NM guy at Cisco in Advanced Services *grin*)

LMS 2.5.1 is pretty much an entirely new product. The GUI is very different. There are many new features that are desirable - no Java Plugin requirements for RME (some for Campus Topo and IPM). RME has some nice new capabilities for customers that are trying to do config compliance checking (HIPAA/Sarbanes-Oxley) - that is RME Baseline Templates. Broader device support - no more device limitations on Detailed device report, NetConfig, etc. If you want to do a software upgrade on all 5000 devices that the product is supported to, we'll let you do it... :)

OV NNM 7.5 can be integrated.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Several (many?) readers of this forum have complained that 2.5.x is NOT an improvement at all over 2.2. As a long time CW user (since the tcl/tk-based CW classic ca. 1995) I agree.

One is hard pressed to identify any new fucntionality in version 2.5. Under the covers, the application suite is significantly rearchitected (e.g. Device and Credential Repository, etc.). The user interface is entierly different (new interface is called "Picasso" internally - looks like CCO). Cisco now using a licensing daemon to ensure you are licensed for the suite - several users have reported problems with this subsystem. The old problems of requiring a particular Java version remain (though slightly lessened) as Cisco inches slowly towards a pure HTML implementation (though I'm not sure Campus Manager will ever get there). Several functions/tools have been eliminated outright (e.g., RME Availability Monitor, bundling of nGenius RTM with RWAN suite).

Oh, and HPOV NNM 7.5 integration is not yet supported.

In short, I wouldn't recommend an upgrade unless you have some compelling reason that offsets the shortcomings of LMS 2.5, only some of which are outlined above.

Hope this helps, please rate helpful posts.

mklemovitch,

Adapter 1.7 support OV NNM 7.5

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-nnm

"

Copyright (c) Cisco Systems, Inc. 2004,2005.

Adapter(Version 1.7) for integrating Cisco Applications and Cisco Devices

into HP Network Node Manager 6.4 , 7.0 , 7.01 and 7.5 versions

Version : 1.7

For use in conjunction with CiscoWorks Integration Utility

to integrate management of Cisco devices and applications with HP NNM.

Requirements

You must be running one of the following operating systems:

Solaris 2.8

Solaris 2.9

One of the following must be installed before this adapter can be used.

HP Network Node Manager 6.4 , 7.0 , 7.01 and 7.5 version

Note: Please refer to the "Notes" section for integration with HP NNM version 7.5.

Installation Instructions:

"

Interesting. I saw at the bottom of the same installation note:

Version 2.0 to Version 2.1

Support for HP Network Node Manager version 7.0

Also, some users have reported problems. see this posting and associated link:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dda6fa2

The link you provided refered to a user on adapter v1.6.

I provided info on adapter v1.7.

I'm sorry people have had problems in the past. Believe me we are taking the comments seriously.

Software IS an evolving art - even for companies that only do software (and mouses and game consoles... :)

Interesting. v1.7 has been out since March 2005...

Hello!

It has been there almost an year, but I wouldn't recommend to use it if using NNM AE and Dynamic Views. Integration is basically only for traditional NNM.

Regards,

Marko Seppanen

Yes and I am one of them. Tried 2.51 for abt a week and then went back to 2.2.

Some of the reasons I did this for:

The new look opens up multiple browsers and is annoying. after a few clicks you do not know where you are.

RME,CM,DFM now import all their inventory from commonservices .. In the short time I used it, I could not find a way of keeping them independent of each other .. reason being not all devices I see in campus Mgr, I want managed by RME. Also RME 2.2 used DNS (forward) whereas CM 2.2 used DNS (reverse), and since not all my devices have reverse entries, I have to serach for devices by either IP and name in some cases. LMS2.5 goes teh CM 2.2 way .. using reverse DNS.

The displays.. in 2.2.. you could get a whole list on one page (eg. user tracking/topology services). 2.5 will show you 10 at a time and if you want more then either next of you hve to choose a high number (each time) and display all.

However, I am now findng in certain cases (ciscoview) that some newer modules are no longer supported in LMS2.2 and looks like cisco is "forcing" me to go to 2.5.

and yes the licensing daemon is anotehr pain!

Each of the subordinate applications, RME, DFM, Campus Manager, allows you to automatically manage the devices from Common Services/DCR or not. If you turn that option OFF, then selectively manage the device grouping you want, you can effectively achieve your desire of having different apps managing different devices.

parvs_cmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am really confused now should we go for the upgrade or not???????

I've just upgraded. The new menu system is a pain, as has already been commented upon. I am having trouble getting my email syslog alerting to work at the moment (java error when I try to enter common services -> email addr) Cisco have advised me to apply the Dec 2005 patch, it's about 250meg. I'm

going to do that this morning and see where I stand.

I think you probably should go with the upgrade, just due to support for newer modules.

One thing that it did fix for me was printing under XP for the client side. I can print without the client completely crashing now. Yay.

You can put backgrounds on maps now :-)

Why do the maps always open too small and I have to client the expand to fit screen icon ?

Is there no way for me to have the maps just open to

fit screen ?

That is just one thing about the gui that drives me crazy. The new version opens windows galore and also I hate the way I have to click the display 500 items, buttons every time in things like user tracking to make it not multi screen.

The interface is just bad.

P,

Obviously that's your decision to make. I'd encourage you to review the online docs - the installation guides and release notes should tell you about the new features of LMS 2.5. Many of the customers I support felt the new features were enough of a catalyst to upgrade. However, you've read some relevent commentary from others in this thread about their concerns.

If you have the flexibility of getting a second server, maybe you should consider running a new LMS 2.5 box in parallel with your older LMS 2.2 server until a point that you're comfortable with the new LMS 2.5 product.

These things are true:

1) LMS 2.5 has a new COMMON/centralized database for device names, credentials and a few other device-identifying characteristics (each application can still pick/choose from that common list tho) - in LMS 2.2 each application managed its own list and shared updates with others (greater probability for getting out of sync)

2) Device limits in reports and jobs have been removed, so you can run to the rated limit of 5,000 devices in a job, if you wish.

LMS 2.2 had limits like 50 devices in a Detailed Device Report and SWIM had similar limits (about 50 devices in a job). If you really want to do a 5,000 device NetConfig or Detailed Device Report, we'll give you the capability in LMS 2.5 - it may take a while to run, but you have the option.

3) Removal of Java PlugIns for most functions (with exception of Campus Topo, IPM and Path Tool). If you do all your work in RME, you won't run into JPI issues. This is very good thing for many customers.

4) GUI and work-flows are very different from LMS 2.2. With this in mind it probably makes a LOT of sense to run 2 servers until you're comfortable with the new operation.

It's almost like saying you need to trade in your bike for a new motorcycle. There's going to be a learning period - you might be comfortable using the bike for a bit and seeing how that compares to how the motorcycle works - eventually you'll get on the motorcycle... :)

Nice balanced recommendation, Jason. FAQ-worthy. I hope the product managers are keeping up on the feedback on this forum. There are a lot of "features" that leave me scratching my head after two years' exposure to them (from the 2.5 beta release on). I can't remember anywhere near this much fustration with things back in the CW classic days. Maybe my memory is just fading, lol.

- Marvin