cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade LMS 4.2 virtual machine to 4.2.4

willsmith1701
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone upgraded an LMS 4.2 virtual machine?  I've tried both application upgrade and application install, and they both fail.  Upgrade fails with

"application not upgraded. Please see application documentation for upgrade limitations".  Install fails with a message saying the application is already installed.  I've tried using the 4_2_1.tar.gz through 4_2_4.tar.gz files both ways (upgrade and install) and they all fail. I've read the docs and it sounds straightforward, but it doesn't seem to work. Has anyone done this, how did you upgrade an LMS 4.2 virtual machine to 4.2.4?

10 Replies 10

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm assuming you mean the soft appliance VM (vs. a Windows server VM running LMS).

I've upgraded mine through to 4.2.4 successfully. It does take a while (about 20-30 minutes in my experience) but eventually it comes back with the upgrade status.

Have you even done any successfully upgrade on the system or is this the first attempt?

If you copied over and unzipped the zip into the tar.gz successfully that should confirm your download and transfer were OK.

Once that's done, just verify the repository location is set and then run the command:

application upgrade Cisco_Prime_LAN_Management_Solution_4_2_1.tar.gz <>

... and so forth through to 4.2.4.

I did exactly what you described, and after 15 minutes or so it fails with the error

"application not upgraded. Please see application documentation for upgrade limitations"

This is the first attempt at upgrading.

This is the "soft appliance" virtual machine.

The repo I configured is a tftp server as I couldn't figure out the syntax to set up a local disk repo.  The tftp server shows that the entire requested file is transferred, so that isn't the issue.

It is a bit tricky at first - obviously the instructions were written by a developer, not a network engineer.

I've always done mine from local disk. Here's how I setup the LMS running-configuration:

repository upgrade

url disk:

...which points to "localdisk" in the shell filesystem. Within that directory is where to locate the unzipped download (still in tar.gz format):

SecLab-LMS/admin# shell

Enter shell password :

Starting shell...

[SecLab-LMS/root-ade ~]# pwd

/root

[SecLab-LMS/root-ade ~]# cd ../localdisk

[SecLab-LMS/root-ade localdisk]# ls -al

total 1171548

drwxr-xr-x  3 root root         4096 Aug  8 15:04 .

drwxr-xr-x 28 root root         4096 Aug  8 15:01 ..

-rw-rw-rw-  1 root gadmin 1198459265 Aug  8 14:36 Cisco_Prime_LAN_Management_Solution_4_2_4.tar.gz

drwx------  2 root root        16384 Feb  8  2012 lost+found

[SecLab-LMS/root-ade localdisk]#

Good day!

When i need upgrade, i used following procedure (for soft appliance):

1) Download archive via the GUI in standard path by default:

[lms42/root-ade sysconfig] # cd /opt/psu_download/

[lms42/root-ade psu_download] # ls-la lms /

total 3720184

drwxrwx --- 2 casuser casusers 4096 Jul 22 12:11.

drwxrwx --- 5 casuser casusers Sep 26, 4096 12:35 ..

-rwxrwx --- 1 casuser casusers 602 815 877 Jun 27 17:27 lms4_2_1_lnx_k9.zip

-rwxrwx --- 1 casuser casusers 1146991411 Jun 27 18:24 lms4_2_2_lnx_k9.zip

-rwxrwx --- 1 casuser casusers 856 966 763 Jun 27 17:40 lms4_2_3_lnx_k9.zip

-rw-r ----- 1 casuser casusers 1198937541 Jul 22 13:28 lms4_2_4_lnx_k9.zip

2) check integrity of each file command "unzip -tq lms4_2_1_lnx_k9.zip";

3) each of update files, in order, copied to local shared file system "/localdisk/upgrade-lms/", extract from archive "unzip /localdisk/upgrade-lms/lms4_ 2_1_lnx_k9.zip"; and each file contains pdf file with detailed instructions (eg lms4_2_1_lnx_k9.readme.pdf);

4) out of the OS ADE "exit";

5) set up a repository (one time only):

repository lms

url disk:/upgrade-lms/

6) for install i used command "application upgrade Cisco_Prime_LAN_Management_Solution_4_2_1.tar.gz lms";

7) repeated this steps to install all updates (last 4.2.4).

Sincerely,

Andrey

Hello. I ran into the same problem today and found your thread. Followed the above suggestions to the letter with no joy. Eventually got the upgrade working by using Vconsole - I was previously using a ssh session.  Not sure why this made a difference but the Cisco docs did say to use Vconsole.

Cheers

Andy

edeloscobos
Level 1
Level 1

Andrew,

When you says "Vconsole", you means to VMware vSphere console?

I tried the upgrade procedure indicated above, but the process take up to 3 hours and nothing happens after the "

Initiating Application Upgrade..." prompt.

Someone knows if that installation are logged under a file or shomething that I could get info about the fail?

Thank you for the assistance.

Eduardo

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it happens through a SSH session to de LMS console.

I've always done my soft appliance upgrades via ssh session. I've done three direfeent systems via that method. the one Windows server-based LMS I did was via RDP.

Guys

Is it the same procedure for NCS appliance running 4.2.0 ?

Do I need to upgrade it 4 times via console to get to 4.2.4 ?

Unfortuantely, yes. Follow the procedure sections for "Soft appliance" (even though you are running on Cisco hardware appliance) in the resepctive 4.2.x release notes here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: