cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading to Prime 3.0 confusion

CC Estelle
Level 1
Level 1

I have a very basic installation of Prime. I was running Prime Infrastructure 2.1 and want to get to 3.1.  I did an application backup, deployed Prime Infrastructure 2.2.0 VM, restored my database, all is good.  It now shows I'm running 2.2.0

I thought I could do an inline upgrade from 2.2 to 3.0, but the documentation has me a little confused.  It says if I'm upgrading from a 2.2.x VM, I should create a virtual machine, restore my config and then do an inline upgrade? HUH?  Didn't I just do that to get from 2.1 to 2.2?   Also, if I deploy a new 3.0 VM, restore my config, then I'll be running 3.0, what's to upgrade? That's a migration, not inline

Inline upgrade is simpler than system migration, and requires no new hardware. The following steps explain how to upgrade from Prime Infrastructure 2.2.x to Prime Infrastructure 3.0. If you are upgrading from a Prime Infrastructure 2.2.x virtual machine, you should create a new virtual machine with the same deployment configuration option you used previously (for example, Express, Express-Plus, Standard, or Professional), back up your existing virtual machine, and then restore it on the new virtual machine. Perform an inline upgrade from Prime Infrastructure 2.2.x, then delete the old virtual machine after the upgraded virtual machine is fully operational.

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Yes, it bothered me a lot too, although I followed the official path; it should not be needed provided upgrades are sufficiently good engineered. They probably wanted to import the user's data on a clean system (or have the user do that). Besides the hassle it has also other side effects; such that no 2 Prime systems can have the same IP address. In our case the prime server is in snmp access list on switches; so in this transition period there will be  a lights-out period in prime monitoring.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I currently have a Prime Infrastructure 2.2.0 VM,  to get to 3.0, are you suggesting the following?

1) backup application NCS  again

2) Setup a new Prime 3.0 VM

3) Restore Database from backup

Then to go to 3.0 to 3.1, I can just do an in-place upgrade?

Please READ the threat

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

I simply completed an application backup and then went through the upgrade process to 3.0. My question now is in regards to tokens and/or licenses on the way to at least 3.1 if not 3.3. There is a reference in 3.1.7 release notes about the grandfathered option to get tokens for my licenses but no mention of that in the 3.1 or above upgrade guide. I need 3.1 for the version of APs we are running.

Can anyone explain the upgrade from a license standpoint?

Brent