cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

user tracking acquisition problem

benjo.rulloda
Level 1
Level 1

Our client has Ciscoworks LMS 3.0 with Campus Manager 5.0.0. Just last week he encountered problems with user tracking acquisition. From a total end hosts of 545 now it only sees 9 end hosts.

I noticed that when I ran the "start UT acquisition" the process name UTMajorAcquisition is running normally. But when the start UT acquisition turns "idle" the UTMajorAcquisition is "Transient terminated."

Tried to access the Debugging Options but can't open the file.

I've also attached herewith the pdshow result of the server. Do you think we need to upgrade the version of Campus Manager?

Appreciate your help on this.

26 Replies 26

IP address information is obtained from routers. Make sure that each subnet has at least one router Data Collected and that these routers all show up on the Topology Map with with green router icons. Then, make sure each router has a populated ARP cache for their respective subnets. Once that is working, a new UT acquisition should populate IP addresses.

Do we need to configure the snmp context command on the routers as well for UT to work on the switches?

No. The routers simply need to be properly Data Collected by Campus. Of course, if you have any SNMP views which block the ipNetToMedia and at tables, they need to be removed.

Here's what we have configured on the router:

snmp-server group trendsnetwork v3 auth write trendsRW

snmp-server view trendsRW internet included

snmp-server user trendsadmin trendsnetwork v3 auth md5 trendsadmin

snmp-server host 192.169.1.130 version 3 auth trendsadmin

Do any of these block any SNMP views?

No, this should be fine.

Hi Joe,

Our client performed Device discovery as well as data collection of all his devices but still there are no IP addresses under UT end hosts. What do you think might be the problem? Any suggestions on how we can troubleshoot it?

Appreciate your help on this.

Are the routers showing up properly on the Topology Map with green icons? Do their ARP caches contain the proper entries which correspond to the MACs acquired by UT?

Hi Joe,

The routers showed up on the Topology Map as red icons. What I did was, I disabled the SNMP ver 3 of the devices and configure SNMP ver 1 and reconfigure SNMP ver 1 on Device Credentials under Common Services. From there, the devices are now in green icons and UT End hosts report is functioning properly. Since the client's requirement is SNMP ver 3, I re-enabled again ver 3 and noticed that the icons are still green and UT report is still ok.

Is this a bug with regards to LMS 3.0? Is there a way that we can resolve such problems without disabling and re-enabling the SNMP ver 3?

I suspect something was wrong with your SNMP credentials. If you still have v3 devices failing, start a sniffer trace filtering on udp/161 for those devices, then start a Campus Data Collection. The trace should then show exactly what Campus Manager is seeing, and will tell you what the problem is.

The problem could also be with the way you configured the SNMPv3 users. If the engineID changed after the users were configured, the users would need to be reconfigured for the correct engineID. This could also account for the behavior you were seeing.

Hi Joe,

This is how we configured SNMPv3 on the devices:

snmp-server user trends trendsnetwork v3 auth md5 trendsadmin

snmp-server group trendsnetwork v3 auth write trendsRW

snmp-server host 192.168.1.130 version 3 auth trendadmin

snmp-server view trendsRW internet included

Is there a problem with this configuration? And when you say SNMPv3 users, what are you pertaining to?

No, there is nothing wrong with this, but without seeing the sniffer trace, I cannot comment on why this wasn't working for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco