Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking: Data collection to appearance in reports timeframe

ben_johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just upgraded to CW LMS 2.5 and have managed to get most of it working to my satisfaction. However, I need to know something about User Tracking that I can't seem to find anywhere else: Does the username information, supplied to the LMS by the UTLite script running on client workstations, get absorbed into the UT database at minor acquisition or only at major acquisition? And is it stored somewhere that I can get to it before it gets integrated?

Alternatively, is there a way to force the integration process without having to go through a major acquisition (because it takes ages!)?

We've not had UTLite running here before and I want to test that it's actually working properly, but when I log in it seems to take a really long time before my username appears in the UT reports.

Currently UT does a minor acquisition every 60 minutes and a major acquisition twice a day (10am and 2pm).

Thanks for your time.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The UTLite tool will send usernames to ANIServer when the user logs in and logs out of the client machine as well as every 10 minutes while the session is active. This data will only be merged into UT on major acquisitions, or when a device or subnet is explicitly acquired. This does not include the periodic minor acquisitions.

If you want to test to see that it's working, you can put a sniffer on the CiscoWorks server filtering on UDP port 16236 (the default for UTLite), and you should see updates come in periodically. The packet will contain something along the lines of:

userName=name|macAddress=MAC|ipAddress=IP

Thanks for the quick reply jclarke!

I've run the sniffer and determined that the UDP packets are definitely being delivered to the server, which I suppose I should've said in the first message. Sorry.

I was hoping to force the data to be merged as a separate process so I could see the names starting to appear ASAP. Or at least get a look into the "holding pen" where the info sits in limbo until the next major acquisition, just so I know there is no issue between when the UDP packets arrive at the LMS and the UT database merges the info.

I have seen my own username, and that of one of my colleagues, in the UT report as of today and I intend to widen the test audience tomorrow.

Cheers.

You can also enable vmpsadmin debugging under Campus Manager > Admin > Campus Data Collection > Debugging Options, and watch the ani.log for incoming UTLite data. It's not as pretty as the report, but it will let you know if ANI is properly processing the data.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: