Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking in LMS 3.0.1

lambay2000
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Clark,

I have read the user guide for the CM 5.0 for Tracking users and also i have read the Understanding UTLite,I can't see the users login???

what can be the possible reason i have missed.

Thanks

16 Replies 16

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check that UTLite.exe is properly running on each end host, and that the UDP updates are making it to the LMS server (use a sniffer to do this).  You should also be running Campus 5.0.5 with the UTLite.exe that comes with that version to get all of the bug fixes that have gone into UTLite.

Hello Clark,

Is it support's windows XP and windows server 2003? In the documentation i dont see list of XP and 2003 servers.

Am running CM 5.0.5 on LMS server and UTU 1.1.1.exe on XP desktop,

Thanks

UTLite and UTU are two different things.  UTLite is a backend application which runs on Windows end hosts, and sends username updates to Campus Manager where as UTU is a Windows task bar tool which allows one to do quick searches of User Tracking.  Both are supported on Windows XP and 2003.

Hello clarke,

I have followed the procedure installing UTlite with Active directory,and also i have installed UTU on end host, it gives me the proper host details but i m unable to find users.It gives me the below error.

no matching record for user

Istalled UTU on server and also on end user host and tried to login in end user host.the end user host IP is X.X.X.51 but i can tsee in the sniffer.

Attach are the logs from sniffer.

pls suggest more solution's clarke,i need ur assistance.

thanks

Hello clarke,

I tried by directly copying UTlite.exe in windows folder of 2003 instead of pulling from the active directory when the user login but still it doesn't work,

Awaiting ur reply clarke.

Thanks

It doesn't matter where the executable is.  What matters is that the UDP packets that get sent out make it to the Campus Manager server.  UT must also be configured to listen for UTLite updates under Campus Manager > Admin > User Tracking > Acquisition.  On top of that, the MAC address for the PC sending the UTLite updates must already exist in UT.

So, start a sniffer trace on the Campus server filtering on UDP/16236.  Then, start UTLite on one of your Windows clients.  Make sure the UDP update packet makes it to the server.  If it does, make sure the MAC address of the client PC can already be found in the end host table of UT.

Hello Calrke,

The PC is already in the End host report,i also can see the hostname and the port on which it is connected but i can't see any  username.

What matters is that the UDP packets that get sent out make it to the Campus Manager server. ???

this shld be from the PC where th user is logged in.

On top of that, the MAC address for the PC sending the UTLite updates must already exist in UT.???

How it will send the UTLite updates by the UTLite .exe file,that i copied manuall in the system  and double click to run it before starting the user tracking acquisition.

Then, start UTLite on one of your Windows clients?

How??? By double-click on the UTLite.exe file which i copied from the LMS server.

Thanks Clarke for ur replies.

I see no udp/16236 traffic here.  As I said, in order for UTLite to work, it must be executed on the Windows end host, and it must be able to send udp/16236 traffic to the Campus server.  Since I don't see any such traffic, I would start your debugging on the client end.

Hello Clarke,

How the End host will start sending UDP/16236 traffic to Campus Manger by UTLite.exe file ??? How can i excecute this file in windows end host.

Thanks

The UTLite.exe executable will generate the udp/16236 update packets.  Typically, this executable and the UTLiteNT.bat files are copied to the Windows PDC for the network.  When a user logs in, these files are copied down to the workstation, and executed.  UTLiteNT.bat calls UTLite33.exe which runs in the background sending updates to Campus (note: you will need to modify UTLiteNT.bat to specify the correct server and Windows domain names).  You can certainly run UTLite33.exe manually.  Just run it from a DOS shell using the same arguments you specified in UTLiteNT.bat.

Hello Clarke,

The domain administrator made a mistake in specifying the details in DC,i just added,I have less windows knowledge,where to find the logon scripts files for step 3 in windows 2003 server.as per the campus manager user guide .

Edit the UTLiteNT.bat file:
a. Open the UTLiteNT.bat file.
b. Locate the following line and replace domain and ipaddress with the domain name of the Windows
domain controller and IP address of the computer running the Campus Manager server:
start %WINDIR%\UTLite33 -domain domain -host ipaddress -port 16236
If port 16236 is already in use, enter a different number. This port number must match the number
that you entered in the Use Port Number field, in the User Tracking > Administration >
Acquisition > Acquisition Settings page.
For more details, see Modifying Acquisition Settings, page 7-10.
Step 3 Edit the logon script files to run the UTLiteNT.bat file when users log into the network by adding this
line:
UTLiteNT.bat

Thanks,

I don't know.  This would be up to your specific configuration and setup of Windows.

i have tried by editing the logon script in windows still the same problem when user login on the local computer the UTLite.exe is not copied to local windows directory.i will chkout with system admin  and reply to u.

Thanks for ur chain of reply clarke hope we will soon solve this problem,i will come back to u as if now there is no sys admin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: