Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking Issue: Mix of IP/hostnames

ranginroshkg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a problem in CW with Campus user tracking, in the device list it showing mix of Ip-addresses and hostnames.

It is same for the case of vlans as well, some place it display Vlan ID but in other page it shows vlan names.

How can I solve this by getting either host name or Ip.

20 Replies 20

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of Campus Manager? What is showing as IPs (the end hosts or the switches to which they connect)?

As for VLAN names vs. IDs. The VTP servers which are authoritative for those VLANs must have the proper names configured.

Hi,

In device name list of switches, in some place it showing ip-address and hostname for the same switch, how can I get either Ip or hostname. But some of the switches showing device name correctly as hostnames.

we are using VTP transparent mode in all the switches.

Regards

The switches that are showing up by hostname must have DNS or local hosts file entries. The switches that do not lack these entries. To get all switches showing up with their hostnames, make sure that those IP addresses are resolvable in either DNS or the server's local hosts file, then re-run Discovery. If you have configured Discovery to update the DCR Display Name, then the hostnames should show up in the LMS device selectors.

Alternatively, you can go into DCR, and manually update the DCR Display Names for these switches.

Once the Display Names reflect the desired value, re-run Campus Data Collection, then re-run User Tracking Acquisition. You will now see what you want in the UT report.

Hi clarke,

The cisco works server already have a host file entries in it for all switches and it is resolving. I have manually added the devices display names, re-run data collection & U T, but still I am getting those devices with mixed device name as ip/hostname. I have attached the UT report here.

Any other workaround for this.???

Regards

The Display Name for 192.168.103.50 must still be the device's IP address. If the Display Name was a hostname, and you did a new Data Collection and a new UT acquisition, then the Device Name would be that Display Name.

Hi,

I tried to update DCR display names as IP-address and run data collection and UT acquisition for that particular device but still UT report shows hostnames and IP-adress under device name for the same switch.

We are using LMs 3.0.1 and CM 5.0.2

In global-discovery settings of dcr I have given preferred display name "host name", prefered management IP resolve by name. Plus update dcr display name is given.

In seed device settings I gave 'use DCR as seed'

I have attached device discovery settings herewith.

Regards

Okay, Campus 5.0.2 may be your problem. Go to Common Services > Software Center > Software Update, and download the Campus 5.0.3 update. Re-check to make sure that the device in question has a hostname as its Display Name. Then, run a new Data Collection with CM 5.0.3. Then do a new UT acquisition.

Hi Clarke,

I had upgraded CM to 5.0.3 then run DCR rediscovery, data collection in cm and run UT acquisition.

I removed 3 devices from Dcr those which are showing mismatch information in UT reports.

Then I run discovery in dcr, in dcr it showing all the 69 devices but when I run data collection it showing 66 devices only, the credentials are correct which I added are correct. I tried 2-3 times run data collection in CM, still it shows 66 devices.

In DCR all the devices display name =hostname, I did a UT acquisiton. Now there is diference in the reports that those devices was showing mismatch of IP/hostnames showing only 'IP-address' as device name and in the device list those devices is not appearing in a continuous order.

Please look into this issue.

Regards

Go to Campus Manager > Admin > Debugging Options > Data Collection, and enable core, corex, frontend, and framework debugging. Then run a new Data Collection. Then post the ani.log.

Hi Clarke,

I have attached the ani log herewith, data collection started around 2:55 pm.

Now some devices are showing like this attached pic.

I don't see anything wrong here. I see you have 74 devices in DCR, of which four are rejected due to your Data Collection filters. Campus is correctly Data Collecting the other 70. If you are missing some devices from Campus, you will need to post their IP addresses and hostnames.

As for the UT piece, I see that the devices which show up with an IP address as their device name are being properly Data Collected with the hostname. So something must be going wrong in the UT acquisition. You can enable "user tracking" debugging under Campus Manager > Admin > Debugging Options > User Tracking Server, then post the ut.log.

HI,

We have already taken a UT log on 2008-10-16 at 5:5 Pm, you can check the logs.

Thanks

Rangin

User Tracking is still showing the IP address as the device name for 192.168.108.50? If so, please post NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/portsData.xml.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: