Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

User Tracking- Not all IP-Adresses

Hello to all,

our corporate network consist of 5 Class B networks. We have a Cat6509 in all this networks as the core device. This Core switch acts as a seed device in Campus Manager. When i start the User Tracking i dont get all IP Addresses to MAC.

I searched for information and i found this in the online help:

"

User Tracking does not perform Ping Sweep on large subnets, for example, subnets containing Class A and B addresses. Hence, ARP cache might not have some IP addresses and the User Tracking may not display the IP addresses.

In larger subnets, the Ping process leads to numerous ping responses that might increase the traffic on your network and result in extensive use of network resources.

To perform Ping Sweep on larger subnets, you can:

Configure a higher value for the ARP cache time-out on the routers. To configure the value, you must use the arp time-out interface configuration command on devices running Cisco IOS.

Use any external software, which will enable you to ping the host IP addresses. This will ensure that when you run User Tracking Acquisition the ARP cache of the router contains the IP addresses. "

I´ve configured a higher value for the arp timer with no or little effect.

How can this be resolved?I think i have to do a broadcast ping from the Core Device to fill the ARP-table but how? Maybe there is a better way to manage this which i don´t now right now.

Maybe someone can give me a hint.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1 REPLY

Re: User Tracking- Not all IP-Adresses

try to do minor UT for every network instead of major UT. or host UT for every next device to the router manualy ...you can also schedul the UT under different jobs. and increase the deletion intrval from UT admin

Y.singh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content